ffwd and rew (jump 10 sec) not working

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Doc Rock, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Doc Rock macrumors newbie

So I realized the other day that when I go forward or back in any app on the AppleTV 4K that I am not getting any jumps back or forth. All of the applications do show the 10 second circle when I hit the button (well, edge of the trackpad), but nothing actually happens. The light blinks on the ATV and you get a nice audible click from the button press on the remote...but then the apps don't do anything. The interesting thing is that it is across ALL apps. Anyone seen something like this happen before? I was thinking about dropping the 11.2.5 beta on there and seeing if there was something in the code happening.

2. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I think it's a bit glitchy. It works for me most of the times (but I am using a cover, so I don't know if it interferes a bit), still a bit too often for my taste it misses it. What I have noticed is that one must move the finger to the extreme left or right and then click. Also the finger should move horizontally (from the center), or at least not slightly down to avoid to start getting into the menu. It took me a while to loose less clicks.

But if it never works for you first of all I would reboot the ATV. Or even unplug it for few seconds (doing so a real hard restart). Also you should check if you have enough battery juice and in case recharge it. I mean, it's Bluetooth so it shouldn't really be an issue, but one never knows..

3. Doc Rock thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pushing the buttons correctly, it’s actually showing the icon for forward and rew. I’ve unplugged and restarted many times. I’ve even updated to the latest beta software.

So this morning I grabbed my remote from the old Apple TV 4 (not 4K) and paired it. It works fine! Pair back to the new remote, nada. Repeat three times, old remote works, new one doesn’t.

So maybe Siri remote firmware. It’s on 0x0099...I cannot seem to find any way to update the remote on tvOS 11.

For now, I’m using the old remote. If anyone knows how to update firmware, that would be great. Next step is probably heading to the Apple store and testing there.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

my 4k remote does the same thing, if i rest my finger on the edge of the remote it shows the jump 10 second icon on the screen, but when you click it doesn't do it.
    i am on the public beta, but this has been happening for a while. not sure when it started.

my regular 4 and old remote in the bedroom works just fine. (i haven't tried to pair the old remote with the 4K aTV)

using the remote app on the phone skips like it's supposed to on both.

5. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I have noticed that some times the 10 sec skip stops working, especially if I use it a lot in a short period of time.

It usually fixes itself, or with a restart.

I also noticed that charging the remote for a few seconds, even if is not needing a charge, fixes remote problems.

While it is a lot better than it was at launch, tvOS seems to be a very buggy Apple software. My wife is constantly complaining about it, she brings up how the older ATV3 seemed to never have bugs, but the ATV4 has all sorts of issues.