Fiance has 2G, giving her my 3GS. Can she keep Unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexacid, Jun 25, 2010.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

My iphone 4 was just shipped. I want to give my Fiance my 3GS. She has the old and stank original iphone, with the 19.99 unlimited data.

Can she keep unlimited data? Like switch her to the $30 unlimited plan that was for the 3g/3gs? Will i need to call customer service?
    That 2GB plan is seriously BS.

What do i need to do when i give her my iphone? Do i need to call in? or just put her sim card in the 3GS?

Thanks guys

2. Drusso macrumors member

No she can't. I just did this with my son. You put the sim in the 3GS and I believe they will put her on the lowest data plan automatically. I'm waiting for att site to come up so I can change the data amount but unless she already had it, it's gone.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, she is grandfathered just like everyone else w/ an unlimited plan. You need to go to the ATT store though as I believe the SIM in the 2G is not 3G capable.

4. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Thats what i thought i read a while back. That she would get bumped to the 3G unlimited plan.

Good too know i need to go to the at&t store. And yeah, i've been trying to get her to upgrade her sim for ages, its a cingular 3G sim thats about 4 or 5 years old.

works in the 2G i gave her just fine though.

Sweet!

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If her old SIM is working fine for her, there's really no need to change it. Actually, it's probably more durable than the current AT&T mini SIMs, which look and seem awfully flimsy compared to older SIMs.

6. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Really? I'll leave it alone then. It works just fine.

Do i still need to go to the at&t store to get switched over though?

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You are still grandfathered to the unlimited plan. I did this with my 3G when I upgraded to the 4G, I gave the 3G to someone using a 2G and just swapped the SIMs and callled AT&T.

The only issue we are still having is AT&T has MMS as no for her SIM, technical support is working that out now though since the 2G had no MMS capabilities. Whatever you do not let them take off the data and re-add it, while its a fast fix to the MMS issue it will not let you re-add unlimited data back on.

8. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

So is it better to call or go to the store? I'm sure she still has the MMS block on her account, i doubt they ever removed it on her account since she has the 2g.

I hope this doesnt get screwed somewhere along the line

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Call, you have to get AT&T technical support engagaed to lift the block without removing the current unlimited data plan. I used business support, it was quite painfree. They will give you a call back time and are very prompt with the issues.

I would be too afraid the monkeys at the store would just remove the current data plan and then you would be screwed out of your grandfathered unlimited.

10. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Do phones pull apn's and mms configurations from the sim card, or pull them from the network? I'm sure the cingular sim she has will work, but will it have the correct info if thats the way the phone gets its info?

I'm definitely calling it in then!!

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's on the network, thats where they are having to make the changes for us.

12. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid