Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) today announced the upcoming launch of its next-generation infotainment system, Uconnect 5. The new version of Uconnect has been rebuilt from the ground up on an Android platform with a number of new features including wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, a familiar-yet-revamped user interface, support for up to five user profiles for customization, Alexa support, improved voice control, and more.

fca_uconnect_5_home.jpg
Uconnect 5 home screen

We've been fans of the current Uconnect 4 infotainment system and the way it nearly seamlessly blends CarPlay into the native system, and making CarPlay wireless will no doubt make that experience even better. Many of the other improvements in Uconnect 5 such as enhanced customizability, faster hardware performance, and new features and services should also make for a better user experience.

fca_uconnect_5_profiles.jpg
Uconnect 5 user profiles
The award-winning Uconnect system offers new conveniences, keeping customers engaged and informed all while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are currently available on more than 80 percent of FCA's North American applications. Uconnect 5 will bring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to 100 percent of FCA's North American offerings. The feature also adds wireless connectivity, allowing customers to wirelessly project phone apps quick and easy, while leaving phones securely stowed.
fca_uconnect_5_nav.jpg
Uconnect 5 TomTom navigation

Wireless CarPlay has so far been largely limited to a handful of luxury brands like BMW, Audi, and Porsche, with some aftermarket systems also supporting it, but more mainstream manufacturers are on the verge of adding wireless Carplay as they launch major updates to their infotainment technology. Ford announced last October that its SYNC 4 system will support wireless CarPlay in select vehicles, and now FCA is following suit with its family of brands including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, and more.

FCA has yet to announce exactly when and on which models Uconnect 5 will first launch, but it should start rolling out later this year.

Article Link: Fiat Chrysler's Android-Based Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Assuming the form factor remains the same as previous UConnect gens (8.4"), it's disappointing that it will be limited to newer vehicles only.

The carplay updated UConnect 4 modules are fully compatible with previous year vehicles (speaking specifically about the Jeep Cherokee in this case) and can be purchased through third party sources.

Mazda did a great thing a year back by offering upgrades at the dealership for a few hundred bucks, and no matter how many times I tweeted at Jeep, they never responded on the subject of potentially offering this service. Kind of silly considering the money they're missing out on.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I don't see why companies can't retro older cars. Mazda did a retro upgrade, but not wireless. If it has the hardware, why not program it and retro it? Sure maybe Uconnect 1 (if they had that numbering scheme) can't support it, but 3 or 4? I don't see how much wireless CarPlay can be that much more demanding than wired. Then again, they just want to sell you a new car.

Reactions: Ghost31

Steve Graff

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
I wonder if Fiat Chrysler will offer an upgrade from Uconnect 4 to Uconnect 5 for my wife's 2018 Jeep Renegade? I found a Uconnect upgrade site here, but it appears to be only for obtaining minor updates, but not major upgrades.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I don't see why companies can't retro older cars. Mazda did a retro upgrade, but not wireless. If it has the hardware, why not program it and retro it? Sure maybe Uconnect 1 (if they had that numbering scheme) can't support it, but 3 or 4? I don't see how much wireless CarPlay can be that much more demanding than wired. Then again, they just want to sell you a new car.
Because they don't have the hardware - wireless CarPlay requires Wi-Fi
[automerge]1580138721[/automerge]
I wonder if Fiat Chrysler will offer an upgrade from Uconnect 4 to Uconnect 5 for my wife's 2018 Jeep Renegade? I found a Uconnect upgrade site here, but it appears to be only for obtaining minor updates, but not major upgrades.
Not likely, but you can probably find a 3rd party to do it - or do it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazapple

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Because they don't have the hardware - wireless CarPlay requires Wi-Fi
[automerge]1580138721[/automerge]

Not likely, but you can probably find a 3rd party to do it - or do it yourself.

UConenct 4 does have WiFi, I can turn my 2018 Jeep GC into a LTE hotspot using the built-in WiFi...

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
UConenct 4 does have WiFi, I can turn my 2018 Jeep GC into a LTE hotspot using the built-in WiFi...
UConnect 4C has Wi-Fi hotspot - not all 4's, but having an LTE/3G hotspot is not the same thing as accessing the chip natively for CarPlay.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Did they ever fix the bug where non-nav equipped cars would provide a false GPS signal to the phone? I rented a Jeep in Utah and my phone thought we were in Illinois every time I plugged it in and tried to use CarPlay. It was a known bug at the time, but hadn't been fixed. Very frustrating.

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI

If companies were using modular components instead of designing everything to be obsolete so you have to buy a new one - we'd be in heaven.

The fact that Apple is going to update a couple of their older products to ios 14 to me, is amazing. Most android phones are lucky to get monthly security updates never mind OS updates for more than a year or so.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
to the folks saying your car won't get it, they have not announced what vehicles will have support for the upgrade. I have a 19' Wrangler JL 8.4" display, and the 2020 just came out with the SAME exact hardware, so i cannot imagine my vehicle would not get the upgrade, especially if it's rolling out this year. WHy would they roll it out to cars not yet available on the road like 2021 models?

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The reason for why they are not backward compatible is very likely having to do with the changes required for the CANBUS systems, considering it requires more data speed on the BUS. That is far more involved than just swapping out the radio head-unit.

Reactions: icanhazapple

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I don't have a Fiat Chrysler, but on my Toyota Prius, I was able to download & install a software update for the audio system. Didn't add CarPlay, but fixed a lot of bugs I experienced. I don't know if Chrysler has a similar program.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
to the folks saying your car won't get it, they have not announced what vehicles will have support for the upgrade. I have a 19' Wrangler JL 8.4" display, and the 2020 just came out with the SAME exact hardware, so i cannot imagine my vehicle would not get the upgrade, especially if it's rolling out this year. WHy would they roll it out to cars not yet available on the road like 2021 models?
I have a 2019 Wrangler as well but the hardware required for UConnect 5 I don't believe is what is in the new Wrangler.

"UConnect 5 devices will be supplied by Mitsubishi, and have a 20K MIPS CPU, two megapixels, 2 GB of RAM, and 32 GB of memory; it can control a single screen. Uconnect 5 Plus, made by Samsung’s Harman brand, has a 50K MIPS CPU, 15 megapixels, 64GB of RAM, and premium audio with active noise cancellation. This system is five times faster than the top current UConnect 4 setup. "

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I’m glad wireless CarPlay is catching on. Hopefully it will be standard when I buy my next car.
I've got a vent mount and a pre-run lightning cable that I plug in each time that tops off the battery in my iPhone as I drive. Due to the magnets in my case for the vent mount, I cannot wirelessly charge so would find wireless CarPlay not as convenient in that respect.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I've got a vent mount and a pre-run lightning cable that I plug in each time that tops off the battery in my iPhone as I drive. Due to the magnets in my case for the vent mount, I cannot wirelessly charge so would find wireless CarPlay not as convenient in that respect.

Ya that’s a good point. Wireless CarPlay would really only be feasible if the car came with a wireless charger. Which is also becoming more commonplace.

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI

Doesn't that block the vents somewhat and jiggle around when you're driving? I use a stickie mount with a swivel magnet and one of those slim pieces of metal I put on the back of the case. Can be tough for bigger phones. I used to have a 7 inch tablet on a windshield mount - lol.

Last edited:

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Ya that’s a good point. Wireless CarPlay would really only be feasible if the car came with a wireless charger. Which is also becoming more commonplace.
You'd be surprised at how little the battery drains on modern iPhones while using wireless CarPlay. Things have come a long way. I only plug mine in for long trips and I use USB.
[automerge]1580141404[/automerge]
UConnect 5 is new hardware, not software... and historically dealers have never offered UConnect hardware upgrades to older vehicles.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
The last thing I want is to be radiated in my own car - especially given research that shows that EMF radiation gets bounced around and amplified within the vehicle. In some cars, I get a pain in my ear from it. Hopefully, the wi-fi component will be a removable module, and one can rip it out.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
The last thing I want is to be radiated in my own car - especially given research that shows that EMF radiation gets bounced around and amplified within the vehicle. In some cars, I get a pain in my ear from it. Hopefully, the wi-fi component will be a removable module, and one can rip it out.

research?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.