Fiddly- enabling screensharing remotely? Back To My Mac broken?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tmorterlaing, Jun 19, 2014.

1. tmorterlaing macrumors member

Bit of an odd one this.
    I'm running Yosemite DP2 btw, which might make a difference.

- I need to access my home mac using screensharing from my work mac. No one can access my home mac physically. I can access my home mac's files from work using BTMM, and can SSH in.

I have tried some of these using SSH (I have no idea what the problem is, but this seems to be the only thing Google keeps throwing at me): http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2370

When I try the first command in using SSH, the response I get in Terminal is "Starting...
    WARNING: Failed to read /etc/hostconfig at /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart line 1130.
    Stopped ARD Agent.
    Done."

All I need to do is control the screen of my home mac using BTMM! I've tried using cmd+K and VNC my icloud address but that doesn't work either (it did before I updated to DP2 so maybe the problem lies in there somewhere?)

Please help!?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd use TeamViewer as that's a much easier (and free) solution.

3. tmorterlaing thread starter macrumors member

And how do I set that up when I can't be at my home computer?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You could use a third party online service like TeamViewer but maybe you should look at GreenWorldSoft' VPN Server/Client. So take a look at their video.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to initially set it up on your home computer.

Either way with screen sharing not working on your remote computer, there's nothing you can do anyway. Wait until you get home, and then install/configure TeamViewer.

6. tmorterlaing thread starter macrumors member

So there's no way of doing this remotely using some clever combination of SSH and dragging and dropping into my home computers folders?
    Ive managed to install teamviewer using a sudo SSH command (I think), is there some way of setting it up now perhaps? Or some other similar option?