field recorders

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hello. I am pretty sure there was already a thread about this but I can't seem to locate it. I am looking for a small portable recorder in the 300 range. My best bet seems to be the Zoom H4. I had a Microtrack a while back and was unsatisfied with it and returned it. Does anyone have any feedback for the H4 or have suggestions for alternatives?

bgalizio

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
Hello. I am pretty sure there was already a thread about this but I can't seem to locate it. I am looking for a small portable recorder in the 300 range. My best bet seems to be the Zoom H4. I had a Microtrack a while back and was unsatisfied with it and returned it. Does anyone have any feedback for the H4 or have suggestions for alternatives?

What is the intended use? Using the internal microphones? At any rate, definitely consider the Edirol R-09. Poke around and you can find it for around $330-ish new.

Also, head over to taperssection.com and read up. There is a lot of information on various field recorders over there.

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
the intended use is primarily for sampling to use in music, but also for films. I would be using external mics, but that's not to say I would never use the internal ones.

what is the advantage of the edirol?

bgalizio

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
the intended use is primarily for sampling to use in music, but also for films. I would be using external mics, but that's not to say I would never use the internal ones.

what is the advantage of the edirol?
Smaller size, much better A/D convertor. Not sure about the preamps of either - check the threads on each device at taperssection.com. There should be plenty there to read about each device.