"Fifth Beatle" Billy Preston dies

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,558
3,637
Los Angeles
News link

Singer and songwriter Billy Preson, who played and recorded with the Beatles, toured with the Rolling Stones, and had hits of his own, died today at age 59, probably of kidney failure. He had had a kidney transplant in 2002.

Despite some stints in jail and drug rehab, he was known for his big smile, and his big hair too, as well as his music. He played with Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, and other artists and was the first-ever musical guest on Saturday Night Live.

Video: Billy Preston on keyboards for "Get Back" during the Beatles Rooftop Concert.

iTunes Music Store album list
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Now that is a real shame. He had a hit of his own once too... can't remember the title. Feeling old now... :eek:
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,505
4
Blue Velvet said:
Now that is a real shame. He had a hit of his own once too... can't remember the title. Feeling old now... :eek:
Was it something like 'That's the way god planned it'? Great song. It's a real shame. I loved the stuff he did with the Beatles.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
calculus said:
Was it something like 'That's the way god planned it'? Great song. It's a real shame. I loved the stuff he did with the Beatles.
After a little googling, the two I definitely remember are:

• Will It Go Round In Circles
• Nothing From Nothing
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,558
3,637
Los Angeles
I was surprised to learn that he wrote "You Are so Beautiful", a popular song performed by Joe Cocker. Preston was amazingly versatile.

More videos of Billy Preston as keyboard accompanist:
Don't Let me Down in Abbey Road Studio with the Beatles

That's the Way on stage with George Harrison​
And digging way back into the time machine, there's this hilariously ancient clip:
I'm So Lonely with Jackie Wilson​
 

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
3,785
251
Asheville, NC
Sad...this prompted me to pull out my "Concert for George" tribute CD that he was a part of a few years ago; he did a pretty good version of "My Sweet Lord" on there.
 

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
895
0
Bay of Fundy
MattG said:
Sad...this prompted me to pull out my "Concert for George" tribute CD that he was a part of a few years ago; he did a pretty good version of "My Sweet Lord" on there.
I love that DVD, it's one of my all-time favorite concerts, just wonderful

and it's very sad to see Preston having passed on, my thoughts are with his family
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,576
2,907
I thought the fifth Beatle was the original drummer/guitar dude Ringo replaced? Was it Ringo? He had a brain tumour or something. meh. everyone's a fifth Beatle these days.

Sad though :( Billy Preson always made me smile. Just his face alone. No idea why too...
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,505
4
raggedjimmi said:
I thought the fifth Beatle was the original drummer/guitar dude Ringo replaced? Was it Ringo? He had a brain tumour or something. meh. everyone's a fifth Beatle these days.

Sad though :( Billy Preson always made me smile. Just his face alone. No idea why too...
You've managed to make a composite character. Ringo replaced Pete Best as drummer. The original bass player was Stu Sutcliffe - it was him who died from a brain tumour.
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,505
4
Jaffa Cake said:
This past week also saw the passing of reggae great Desmond Dekker, one of the first musicians to introduce ska to the wider world.
Yes, that was a sad one two. Those are some of the first reggae records I remember