Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of a new tvOS 12 operating system to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the fourth beta and more than a month after introducing the new software at the 2018 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV, the tvOS 12 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV using a profile that's installed through the Xcode software. Subsequent betas can be downloaded via the software update mechanism on the Apple TV.

apple-tv-tvos-12-800x623.jpg

tvOS 12 introduces support for Dolby Atmos sound, which was activated in the second beta. Apple says that iTunes will be home to the largest collection of Dolby Atmos-supported movies anywhere this fall. Customers that have previously purchased movies that gain Dolby Atmos support will see free upgrades to their titles, much like the rollout of 4K support.

Building on single sign-on, a new zero sign-on feature will further simplify the cable authentication process. With zero sign-on, the Apple TV can detect a user's broadband network and automatically sign them into supported apps they receive through their accompanying cable subscription.

Zero sign-on will be available for Charter Communications customers this fall and will expand to additional cable providers in the future.

Aerial screensavers now include location information and there are new screensavers captured in collaboration with the International Space Station.

tvos12aerialscreensaver-800x400.jpg

Other improvements tvOS-related improvements include AutoFill passwords from iPhone, an Apple TV Remote automatically added to Control Center on the iPhone or iPad, and Apple TV support on Home control systems like Control4, Crestron, and Savant.

tvOS 12 is available for developers and public beta testers to work out bugs and other issues ahead of a fall public launch.

Article Link: Fifth Beta of tvOS 12 Now Available for Registered Developers

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Dolby Atmos stopped working for me the last beta. Hope it is back in this one.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
tvOS for me clearly is the highlight of OS developments lately when thinking of we’re it started from and how it matured from 9.0 onwards.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Does anyone know if they have activated Atmos sound through the Apple iTunes movies yet? I know that Vudu worked the last beta but I never got the iTunes movies to work.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Have there been any updates to Computers.app? I've got bugs that I raised against tvOS9 still evident ( continuous playback of tv episodes still hasn't returned, still no means of marking tv episodes watched / unwatched, playlists no longer have a watched status ), hoping that they might get sorted this time around....

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I haven't had any checkerboard patterns using SDR 4K over HDMI. I was having audio dropouts every 15 minutes or so on the previous betas, but this beta seems to have resolved that, at least in my limited testing last night. I will test more tonight.

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Get Netflix on the TV app.

Send your remote to the bottom of the ocean and give me a tactile remote.

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
I haven't had any checkerboard patterns using SDR 4K over HDMI. I was having audio dropouts every 15 minutes or so on the previous betas, but this beta seems to have resolved that, at least in my limited testing last night. I will test more tonight.
I will check it late today. I really hope this bug is gone.

xtaker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2018
I thought I was the only one with the checkerboard glitch and the audio drops. Thankfully that's not the case and it's due to this beta. I was ready to exchange it at Best Buy.

I'm on the public beta, so if anyone can please report back about these issues that would be great.

possum80

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Getting image and sound dropouts regularly. No matter what HDMI cable I use and what input I use on my TV. (Yes, I have the expensive 4K belkin cable that's recommended).

Anyone else?
Is this still happening? Are you on the latest dev/public beta released yesterday and/or today? I installed the latest dev beta last night and the issue is fixed. I was getting sound drop outs every 15-20 minutes and reverted to my non-4K ATV until it was resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.