Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Fifth-Generation iPod Nano Teardown Posted

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

iFixit has posted a teardown of the new fifth-generation iPod nano launched yesterday at Apple's "It's Only Rock and Roll" media event. While the teardown reveals very similar construction to the previous-generation model with the obvious exception of the camera module, the images provide an interesting glimpse at the internals of one of Apple's new devices.

Changes from the previous-generation iPod nano highlighted in the teardown include the speaker assembly, which directs the audio out the bottom of the device, and of course the camera, which is substantially thinner than the one found in the iPhone. The main ARM processor is Apple-branded and expected to be a Samsung processor as in the past, and the 8 GB flash memory chip in the dissected unit is from Toshiba.

Article Link: Fifth-Generation iPod Nano Teardown Posted

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I'm looking forward to seeing the new iPod Touch tear-down to see if there is any space where the camera could have potentially gone.

Fabian

Comment

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
this makes me want to vomit.....

why didn't the ipod touch get a camera??:D

I'm hoping they decided not to announce itouch with video camera because of the rumored production glitches they had. I'm hoping they will quietly announce release of itouch with video before christmas sales season.

Comment

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Holy geez, you people complain about the new iPod touch having no camera on every thread now. Give it a rest, it doesn't have a camera, oh well. Don't have a heart attack over it.

Comment

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm hoping they decided not to announce itouch with video camera because of the rumored production glitches they had. I'm hoping they will quietly announce release of itouch with video before christmas sales season.

Christmas shopping season begins black friday, the day after thanksgiving!, so hopefully in NOV 2009, or March 2010, we might see a new ipod touch

Holy geez, you people complain about the new iPod touch having no camera on every since thread now. Give it a rest, it doesn't have a camera, oh well. Don't have a heart attack over it.

Well, I'll be honest, I AM MAD! lol

some people sold there old ipod touch to buy a new one!, and MANY people (including myself) were dissapointed.;)

Comment

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Christmas shopping season begins black friday, the day after thanksgiving!, so hopefully in NOV 2009, or March 2010, we might see a new ipod touch

I very much doubt that they would launch this two months from this event. Highly unlikely. Imagine the backlash it would cause and people moaning on these forums.

Next year - most probably yes.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

NOT A CHANCE!

...well, a very slim chance. Expect it beyond the new year. They want to shovel out this stuff before renewing any line. If they did it for cost to consumers, they might not upgrade hardware until the recession turns around strongly, or next year at this time.

Comment

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I'll be honest, I AM MAD! lol

some people sold there old ipod touch to buy a new one!, and MANY people (including myself) were dissapointed.;)

in that case, it would be your fault. you know better than to guess at what apple is going to release at their events!!! i bet the person you sold it to would probably sell it back to you, with a nice 25% mark up :)

Comment

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
in that case, it would be your fault. you know better than to guess at what apple is going to release at their events!!! i bet the person you sold it to would probably sell it back to you, with a nice 25% mark up :)

just to let you know, i did not sell my ipod touch, i was actually going to give it to my little sister...;)

but she will be heartbroken.... thanks to apple.:D

Comment

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I very much doubt that they would launch this two months from this event. Highly unlikely. Imagine the backlash it would cause and people moaning on these forums.

Next year - most probably yes.

That's why i said march 2010

take the ipod shuffle 3G for example

it was introduced in march 2009

and it was changed in sept 2009 at the apple media event

Comment

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
It's pretty amazing.

I'm still stunned at what they can pack into that little shell. Even though I have a 3GS, I think I'll ask for a nano for Xmas. There are places I want to go where I want music and a camera, but would prefer not to have my phone. At all. ;)

Comment

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I wonder if these new iPod nanos are running Pixo still or have moved to derivative of OS X like the iPhone and iPod touch... The software is far more interesting than the hardware on these new models.

Comment

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Holy geez, you people complain about the new iPod touch having no camera on every thread now. Give it a rest, it doesn't have a camera, oh well. Don't have a heart attack over it.

+1. Wish it had one. Will live anyway.

For those of you who sell or promise your old equipment ahead of releases on the basis of rumors, it's amazing that you blame Apple. If you want to be sure, sell it after the announcement. If you think you will get more $ (or whatever) before the announcement, well you take your chances. Just like buying in futures markets; may win, may not, but stop whining.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm still stunned at what they can pack into that little shell.

That was my first thought. It blows me away that they can make such a powerful device with so little space and material. And it'll keep going in that direction. Imagine what it will be in 10 years.... a current floor Mac worth of power and storage in something that size, no doubt.

I'm glad that Apple pushes the design priority toward smaller and thinner. It drives the computer industry's approach to design. They always have since Apple ][ hit the market.

Comment

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Apple branded ARM != Samsung Arm CPU

Apple licensed the right to produce their own ARM based CPU under their designs.

Samsung may have fab'd the CPU but if it's Apple branded then it's an Apple ARM based CPU.

Comment

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple

Maybe. BUT, we aren't getting itouch from apple for free. We PAY hard earned $$$ for it so I don't see why we can't complain about it. Didn't apple start the whole app store because people asked for it?

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
With the amount of stuff they put into that small case, it is going to be very interesting to see what the 4th generation iPhone will look like.

Comment

FunkyELF

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
The main ARM processor is Apple-branded and expected to be a Samsung processor as in the past, and the 8 GB flash memory chip in the dissected unit is from Toshiba.

It would be big news if the chip was from P.A. Semi.... have they used any of those chips yet? In the new iPhone?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.