Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
I've had the Pencil by FiftyThree for a couple of days and I'm considering taking it back to the Apple Store and getting an Apple Pencil instead. Are there people out there who have used both? If so, do you think the Apple Pencil justifies being twice as expensive as the FiftyThree pencil?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've had a 53 and I have an apple pencil and I can tell you the apple pencil blows everything out of the water! There really is no comparison

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I've had a 53 and I have an apple pencil and I can tell you the apple pencil blows everything out of the water! There really is no comparison

Agreed, the fine tip precision, even in basic capacitive mode, is like nothing else around. I found the 53 too blobby and chunky for my liking.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've had the Pencil by FiftyThree for a couple of days and I'm considering taking it back to the Apple Store and getting an Apple Pencil instead. Are there people out there who have used both? If so, do you think the Apple Pencil justifies being twice as expensive as the FiftyThree pencil?

And before you make any decisions.... Do you have an iPad Pro? The Apple Pencil will only work on the iPad Pro (for now...)

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
And before you make any decisions.... Do you have an iPad Pro? The Apple Pencil will only work on the iPad Pro (for now...)
Yes, I have an iPad Pro. I have a FiftyThree Pencil that I plan to return to the Apple Store. I was wondering if the Apple Pencil was worth $100 vs. the FiftyThree Pencil for $50.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
For me, yes – easily worth the price increase. The precision of the Apple Pencil is unmatched by any other stylus I've tried. (And the FiftyThree Pencil, at least in my experience, was really clunky and intermittently reliable for drawing and erasing.)

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yes, I have an iPad Pro. I have a FiftyThree Pencil that I plan to return to the Apple Store. I was wondering if the Apple Pencil was worth $100 vs. the FiftyThree Pencil for $50.

Then yes, much as I'd like to support third party efforts, the Apple pencil has no peer. You'll need to find it first though, I'm not sure what the stock situation is currently, but if the iPad Air 3 has support for the pencil, expect it to get even more scarce.

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yes. I bought a 53 pencil when the apple pencil was impossible to find. Now I have both and the 53 is going back tomorrow.

The 53 tip drags on the screen and its hard to write with it on the screen. It's more for art, but the apple pencil is better for that too. Plus, it can charge from the iPad itself, it's way more precise, and most of all there is no sponginess or give to the tip.
[doublepost=1454873290][/doublepost]
Then yes, much as I'd like to support third party efforts, the Apple pencil has no peer. You'll need to find it first though, I'm not sure what the stock situation is currently, but if he iPad Air 3 has support for the pencil, expect it to get even more scarce.
I bought a second one and it shipped in 2 days.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
For me, yes – easily worth the price increase. The precision of the Apple Pencil is unmatched by any other stylus I've tried. (And the FiftyThree Pencil, at least in my experience, was really clunky and intermittently reliable for drawing and erasing.)
Yup, that's why I'm taking the FiftyThree back to the Apple Store. You have all convinced me. I'll trade in the FiftyThree for the Apple Pencil.

Reactions: macaximx

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
On other iPads, the 53 Pencil is pretty great for drawing. In fact, it is probably the best option for drawing on non-Pro iPads.

The weird thing, though, is performance on the iPad Pro was noticeably worse for me. While the Apple Pencil blew the 53 pencil out of the water anyway, it seems as if the 53 Pencil didn't work as well on the Pro as it did on other iPads (it works better on my mini 4 - and I still use it for sketching if I don't have my Pro with me).

Reactions: LiveM

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
On other iPads, the 53 Pencil is pretty great for drawing. In fact, it is probably the best option for drawing on non-Pro iPads.

The weird thing, though, is performance on the iPad Pro was noticeably worse for me. While the Apple Pencil blew the 53 pencil out of the water anyway, it seems as if the 53 Pencil didn't work as well on the Pro as it did on other iPads (it works better on my mini 4 - and I still use it for sketching if I don't have my Pro with me).
I wonder why performance is worse on an iPad Pro?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Depends on what you compare it with. The iPad Air 2 and Pro have similar screens where the capacitive touch layer is slightly different than other models. It tends to screw with things. On the Air 2, if I set Paper to ignore my finger, I find I need to press down in order for the 53 Pencil to register correctly. I'm not sure if the recent Mini is like the Air 1, or the Air 2.

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Dude if you have an iPad pro return that 53 IMMEDIATELY. I can't even believe what I'm reading! The AP scans 240hz, the 53 scans 60hz. You can do the math on that one!

Reactions: Robnsn2015

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I had the 53 since it came out. I loved it on older iPads. It does not get good performance on the iPad pro. I am not sure what it is. It doesn't even glide the same. I spent a while in the Apple Store today playing with the apple pencil. I really wish that it wasn't $100, but it is miles ahead of the 53 pencil. I may break down and buy the Apple pencil pretty soon.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The original FiftyThree Pencil is probably the best stylus for non-Pro iPads but it is doing only as well as the tech will allow.

The Pro uses proper sylus compatibility so it is quite different tech and allows a much better stylus design as well as feel and performance. It only trails in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics.

Reactions: ob81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.