FiftyThree's Popular 'Pencil' Stylus Now Available in Apple Retail Stores

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Accessory maker FiftyThree today announced the availability of the company's popular Pencil stylus in Apple retail stores. Though the stylus has been spotted in select Apple stores in recent weeks, this announcement marks the first time the iPad stylus officially has been available in the Cupertino company's brick and mortar stores. Apple also recently began selling Pencil through its online store.

[​IMG]
    Launched in November 2013, Pencil is a Bluetooth stylus designed for drawing and other creative activities on the iPad. The stylus includes palm rejection, surface pressure, and other functions such as erase and blend. Pricing starts at $49 for a graphite version and climbs to $59 for the hardwood walnut model.

FiftyThree's Pencil iPad stylus is initially available in Apple stores in the US, UK, EU and Canada, with a global roll-out to follow soon.

While FiftyThree expands its retail presence, Apple is rumored to be preparing its own stylus to launch alongside the company's rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro", claims KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The optional stylus accessory would presumably appeal to enterprise and creative users who can use the stylus to take advantage of the iPad Pro's larger screen.

Article Link: FiftyThree's Popular 'Pencil' Stylus Now Available in Apple Retail Stores

2. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Apple should buy 53, like yesterday. Very talented group of people.

3. ronaldhennessy macrumors member

Stylus haters are going to get MAD on the Internet™ about this.

Let it go.

(Though I prefer Adonit anyday.)

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Me too, heh. I don't care for Paper either. Not because it isn't any good, it's brilliant. I don't like the gestures.

5. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Couldn't wait for actual stylus hate?

What if the stylus haters never show up? Then you just look foolish.

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Me neither, I've tried it many times, but it just didn't work for me.

Has the Adonit sytlus ever scratched your screen?

----------

Has the Adonit sylus ever scratched your screen? I've seen complaints about it.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Wish Notability would support the 53 SDK, my world would be a little more complete...

8. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

I’ve had this for a few months now, and it’s great for brainstorming ideas, and drawing quick sketches to show colleagues your intent.

For taking written notes however, I still prefer to use the native Notes app.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, my Smart Cover screwed up my iPad though. :p

Sometimes I hear it about to, but I make sure to readjust it.

10. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I've wondered about it, but haven't ponied up to make a purchase.
    Would love to hear feedback (pros/cons) from some other users here on the forums.

... which I'm sure will happen whether I'm asking for it or not. :D

11. BonchaDotCom macrumors newbie

Stylus Envy

I get excited thinking about picking one of those up, then I remember that my iPad is too old to take advantage of all the features available with the stylus/app. Oh well.

12. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

I'm a college student. I both do artwork on my iPad and take notes in class and have hundreds of dollars in styluses I have tried out through the years in my desk right now.

I'd love for Apple to include pressure sensitivity in the iPad screen or create their own stylus that adds pressure sensitivity with a fine tip that is not half baked and also beef up wrist guard protection throughout their OS.

I'm sorry Steve Jobs and his fanatics but using only a finger to product sketches & notes, even over a short period of time (let alone the hours spent in a classroom) doesn't work.

13. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I shelled out the bucks for Pencil... it's a piece of junk. :(

Those guys should stick to software. Paper is great (well, if you ignore its recently added social "features").

14. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

15. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I actually saw these in my local Apple Store about a month ago! I was surprised as I was a fan of the Paper app when it first came out and it's interesting to see how much they've expanded.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

if available for use with an iPhone 6 plus, I might consider it.

17. Wackadoo macrumors newbie

Scratched the crap outta my iPad 2 back in the day when they first came out. Wrote to adonit about it and basically their response was **** happens. I will never purchased another adonit product nor will I or recommend them. Just about every other stylus nowadays is better anyway.

18. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

Well, Jobs can't veto styli anymore... Maybe Apple is warming up the process of warming up users to optional stylus use on a future iPad.

Personally, I seriously wish there already was a combo: Wacom stylus features with pressure, on a multitouch iPad operated by finger when you don't need to write/draw. Maybe the iPad Pro is that device. Since the rumors started, I've decided to, sigh, yet again, hold off my iPad purchase plans to see what materializes.

No, the Wacom-featured Android/Windows tablets aren't what I want.

19. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

20. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Exactly my thoughts. One more small proof that the upcoming big iPad may have an stylus as an option.

21. satchmo macrumors 68020

If memory serves me correctly, Jobs was referring to using a stylus on the phone, not a tablet.

22. case2001 macrumors 6502

I love Adonit. I have three of them. I was a huge pen and paper note taker until I ran across them. I finally had a reason to by am iPad to supplement my iPhone and MacBook Air!! They are amazing!

23. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Which one is your favourite and why? I'm torn between the the touch and the script. Use would be basic photo editing and note taking, I'm no artist :)

Thanks!

24. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

It is (but as a "dumb" stylus). Grab the 53' pencil, get the Procreate Pocket and off you go...

25. FieldingMellish Suspended