Fight spam ... Next try ...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ChristianVirtual, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Maybe we should introduce a feature that the first one or two posts from new joiner require review from mods before hitting the public. Or reduce the capability to create more then one thread in an hour. This might help to reduce the spam ? I'm sure it was suggested many times before.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Fight spam ... Next try ...

I agree. I hit the Spy and it was littered with spam posts, I'm talking half of them, for those that didn't see it. Something needs to change Arn.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...spam-blasts like that last one are not very common around here thankfully, and when they do happen they get dealt with pretty pronto. I don't think the occasional slip thru the cracks is worth any extra heavy-handed restrictions. If it gets chronic, then yeah - mod-approved for the first few posts might be appropriate.....oh yeah!

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

There are two main reasons why we haven't implemented a feature that requires approval of new members' posts. First, we don't have the manpower to review that many posts. There are about 800,000 legitimate posts on the site (ie, deleted posts excluded) that were one of the first two posts made by a member. At current posting rates, we would need to manually review about 300 posts a day. The moderators and administrators are all volunteers, so this would not be feasible or fair.

Second, we prefer to avoid measures that inconvenience regular members. This would, since there would be a delay between when new members post, and when the post becomes visible to other members, making it harder for them to participate in conversations or get help with problems they are having. This is especially true since the large number of posts that would need to be reviewed would mean that there could potentially be quite a long delay before they were approved in some cases.

We do have a range of techniques that we use to reduce spam or stop you seeing it, and we're constantly working to improve them. It's a bit of a cat and mouse game though, and spammers often find ways to circumvent restrictions we put in place. For example, if we require the first one or two posts of each new member to be approved by a moderator, spammers will learn to make some legitimate looking posts, get them approved, and then post their spam. And if we limit how often members can make new threads, spammers will instead post their spam in existing threads, which is harder to spot and remove.

We do welcome feedback though, and are always happy to hear new ideas.

5. ChristianVirtual thread starter macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

... And much appreciated ... It really is ...

Hope you mod/admin-cats get them all. We help you catching with the little triangle

Maybe there is machine learning tool around to learn on spamming behaviors ?

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, spam bots which generate random usernames etc. have been prevalent for a long time. MR is one of the least effected sites I know, and it's getting to the pint where it's the only site I use because of that and content of course....Even if you had enough Moderators to view each incoming post, they are scattered all over the place, it would, as HexMonkey points out take way too many people operating 24/7 to achieve complete removal. I tend to be online in the early hours of the morning and I've counted times when I've reported 20 or 30 but remember that many of these post's carry the same username....report once and then let the Mods take care of it..:)

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

300 first time posts per day is a lot, obviously. How many first time posts are reported as spam per day? In other words, what is the ratio of legit first posts to spam first posts?

8. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It's a little hard to say. We get about 80 reports per day, and about 30% of that is spam (~24 reports per day). But we sometimes find and delete spam before it's reported, and conversely, not every reported spam post is one of the first two posts made by a member.