Figured out how to remove startup sound

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Jun 30, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I bought a 5 foot headphone extension so I'm not always reaching around my mac to plug them in and so the cord is not going directly over my keyboard. The ext being plugged in removes all sound unless your listening in the headphones.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not exactly new but thanks for posting. If you are intent in muting the startup sound this is the way to do it, the startup sound serves a VERY important purpose. It's a diagnostic and needs to be heard in the event of issues like a PRAM reset, Safe Mode reset, starting from the recovery partition etc....

By the way, another way of avoiding the startup sound is simply letting your machine run 24/7, it will do no harm. Simply put the display to sleep when the computer is not in use.

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I rarely hear the sound because I leave my computer running all the time. I don't know about you, but EVERY time I hear that sound, I immediately expect to hear Paul McCartney sing, "When we were young, and our life was an open book . . . ". It's totally the beginning of "Live and Let Die". :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... or you can simply mute your sound before you shut down or restart. No muss, no fuss.

5. rei101 macrumors 6502a

The start up sound is a patch of a Korg Wavestation A/D.

6. MacPC macrumors regular

I am a long time Mac user, there are a lot I like about OSX but start up sound is definitely not one of them. I absolutely HATE it!!! When I am in a library, boot up my Mac, everyone gives me a dirty look and when I am at home, my Mac is hooked up to my stereo system, if I forget to turn the volume down, it boot up with an earth quake!!!!

There are a few softwares you can google to shut the Mac F* up, I remember there was one I used which worked great but I forget what it is called.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Small problem, starting with Intell Macs, Apple uses a soft internal/external switch for audio. Because of this, the startup sound will always come out through the internal speakers. In the past with PowerPC Macs, Apple used a physical hard switch that made all sound, including the startup sound, to go out to the external speakers.