Figured out MY slow boot issue on i5 quad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joudbren, Nov 19, 2009.

1. joudbren macrumors regular

Swapped my C2D 27" for an i5 and was rewarded with a VERY slow boot on the new system. Literally almost 3 minutes from start of grey screen until the apple logo showed up. Did the O/S reload, nada. Check that hard drive is the boot drive, nada.

Unplugged everything from back of iMac.... Booom! Problem solved and whole system booted under 30 seconds. Plug second monitor back in... ok. Plug FW800 drive back in... ok. Plug usb hub back in.... slow boot.

Narrowed it down finally to an all in one card reader that I have installed for reading flash memory cards. For whatever reason my i5 is not happy booting with the reader installed. The C2D was fine with it so go figure.

Anyhoo, just posting this in case anyone else is having this issue, maybe time to go through all the basic troubleshooting steps. Would have saved me about 5 hours of grief.... :rolleyes:

P.S. Anyone have an idea of what the issue is with the reader? I'm a little surprised that it was fine on the C2D but not the i5. Cheers!

James

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Ya, thats odd, maybe its a support issue for the i5's but you wouldn't think it would do this on startup, hmm... very odd indeed.