Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I've been using Ipod Touches since 3rd gen on ios3. I've generally always just left wifi on all day and night. When ios7 introduced the Control Center, despite being able to quickly toggle wifi on my IpT5, I've gotten used to just leaving it on all the time. Does turning wifi off for half the day save that much battery (6 to 12 hours)? Also before going to bed (another 6 to 8 hours)? Better yet, can someone quantify these savings?

I almost always never run low since I had a separate device for dumb/smart phone. My IpT5 is strictly a gaming device. But still like to see if someone has more technical details about this.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I've been using Ipod Touches since 3rd gen on ios3. I've generally always just left wifi on all day and night. When ios7 introduced the Control Center, despite being able to quickly toggle wifi on my IpT5, I've gotten used to just leaving it on all the time. Does turning wifi off for half the day save that much battery (6 to 12 hours)? Also before going to bed (another 6 to 8 hours)? Better yet, can someone quantify these savings?

I almost always never run low since I had a separate device for dumb/smart phone. My IpT5 is strictly a gaming device. But still like to see if someone has more technical details about this.

It is not worth the slight power savings to turn on and off wifi for that short amount of time. iOS manages power well when wifi is on, and so when the device is in sleep mode with wifi on, it barely consumes power. Android doesn't manage power that well when wifi is on, and so you can save a noticeable amount of power when you turn wifi off when in sleep mode.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
You could leave WiFi on but turn off network discovery. Then, you'd still automatically connect to your home WiFi (or wherever you normally use WiFi) but the IPT wouldn't search for networks when you're away. Might be the best of both worlds for you.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
You could leave WiFi on but turn off network discovery. Then, you'd still automatically connect to your home WiFi (or wherever you normally use WiFi) but the IPT wouldn't search for networks when you're away. Might be the best of both worlds for you.

I couldn't agree more. What the majority of iOS users don't do is to go through ALL of the settings available and turn off the features that are not wanted for their needs. Things like background app refresh, WiFi network search, and many other location and ad services can be major sources of battery usage and benefit few users (they mostly benefit advertisers, ISPs, and those that love that you don't care to protect your privacy).

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

I don't use this as a smartphone, so I get very good battery life (at least IMO), so it could go either way. However, it wouldn't be that much trouble to re-set the option to discover networks. When I need to connect via wifi, I need to go into settings anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.