Figuring out cable I need

Discussion in 'iMac' started by the.sheepdog, Dec 22, 2012.

1. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Hi all. I have an older Firewire backup HD I was using on an iMac 2.16 core 2 duo. Very good computer for 4+ years now.

I now have a 2.5ghz core i5 iMac. This one has different receptacles on the back. No firewire 400 which was what I was using. It does appear to have a firewire 800 port I think. It also has a new port for me. Thunderbolt.

What do you guys think? Get a new hd case for Firewire800 or look for one with a thunderbolt port on it (if they are even sold now)

I want to take the backup from the older imac to the new one to get all that data and such I would hate to lose. I just dont really understand the new standard I guess. I imagine FW800 case would be cheaper.

Thanks.

2. darkangel7696 macrumors newbie

There is no FW800 port on the new Imac. The FW800 port was dropped to add an additional thunderbolt port. You will need to purchase a thunderbolt to FW800 adapter from apple, which runs for $29 from the apple store, and a FW800 to FW400 adapter that can be bought from amazon for around $10. For $39 you could get a good USB 3.0 enclosure that could be used for future external drive.

Personally, I'd go with the latter and just remove the old drive from the FW400 enclosure.

3. the.sheepdog thread starter macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

I'm sorry darkangel but you are wrong. I can look on the back of the mac and see the 800 port. It has a firewire 800 port on my 21.5 and also on the 27. '

Thanks for your input however. I think I will have to just get a new enclosure for the hard drive with either FW800.

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

he's right. you don't have a 2012 if you have a fw800 port.

5. the.sheepdog thread starter macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Ok so it isnt a 2012 but a 2011. I didnt think I said it was anyway.

My dad bought it late in 2011. The only other imac I had seen is my 2007 duo core 20 inch and it looks way different than this 21.5

This one has 2 audio ports, 4 usb's , A FIREWIRE800 port, a thunderbolt port and a gigabit Lan port. 2.7Ghz quad core i5

I guess I either need an encloser for FW800 or an enclosure that has a thunderbolt cable. I imagine that the enclosure with FW800 will be easier to find.

Do we have a nice guy vender for enclosures now as a member? I like to spend cash for our friends if possible.

Thanks

6. seanm9 macrumors regular

Just buy the fw800 to fw400 cable from apple, amazon, best buy, or any where else that sells macs

7. the.sheepdog thread starter macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Believe it or not I had not thought of that! Thanks!

I ordered one and now just need to find out how to restore to a different computer! That should be interesting and not too dangerous I hope!

Thanks again!

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well, not Apple or BB. Overpriced for such old tech. Amazon (if you have Prime) or Monoprice are the best places to buy. $6-8 gets you a 400 to 800 cable shipped.

9. the.sheepdog thread starter macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Yes sir! Amazon shipped for $7