Figuring out cause of freeze/crash

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TitanTiger, Oct 12, 2015.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

So this has been an issue since Mavericks. Overall, everything works fine. But if I log into Yahoo Mail via any web browser, it will work fine at first and they the system will start locking up. I can move the cursor, but clicking on things will either give me a beachball or nothing will happen. I can walk away and let it sit for several minutes and nothing changes. Cursor still moves but clicks and keyboard commands are useless. Can't force quit or anything. Only solution is to do a forced reboot with the power button.

I'm trying to figure out what to do to diagnose the issue. The problem has persisted through Yosemite and now El Capitan. When I ran the El Capitan beta on a partition, I didn't have the issue so it's something about my account or some program I use. But I don't know how to read crash logs or which logs to look at. I'd like to avoid a full, clean reinstall if I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give this a try to help diagnose. Go into System Prefs and is Users & Groups make new temp/test asmin account and restart into that account and see if the problem persists in that account. If the problem goes away, then we know it is somethign running specific to your main account.

If that is the case, download and run the app EtreCheck while logged in to your real account. It will create an anonymized report showing everything running on the system. Post that report here so we can take a look.

4. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say restart into it, do I have to logout of all other accounts and reboot, or just log into the new temp account?

I went ahead and ran Etrecheck. Here's the output:

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I meant was to logout of the exisitng account, then restart the computer, and when it starts to login to the test account and see if that fixes the problem.

Looking at that Etrecheck report, you have a LOT of third party startup and login items running there and any of those could be the problem. You also have several browser plugins running there that may be causing the issue.

Have you been able to restart into the new account and does that solve the problem?

6. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I did that. The freeze did not occur under my new temp account.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay then, that proves it is somethnig running under your account. This is going to be a bit of work to troubleshoot because you have so many things running on there.

The way to do this is to start removing non-Apple launch items that are on the Etrecheck list there until you find the one that is causing the problem.

8. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Spoke too soon. I logged out of temp account and into mine and within a few minutes the freeze happened. It literally never happens unless I go to Yahoo Mail.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That sort of confirms what I was saying. If it happens in your account and not the temp account, that would seem to prove it is something running under the main account that is causing the problem.

10. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

But I didn't log into Yahoo in my regular account. I only did it in the temp. I logged out of temp then into my main one and never went to Yahoo from there and it froze up.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

But it still only happens in the regular account and not the temp correct?