Fiji or the Cook Islands: You Decide!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BoyBach, Jul 14, 2007.

?

Which destinantion?

1. Fiji

62.5%
  2. Cook Islands

37.5%
  1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'll be setting off in October for a year of travelling. But I have a problem!

My route includes a stay in either Fiji or the Cook Islands and I have no idea which one to visit.

So, where should I go?

'THE RULES': It doesn't matter on what base you vote - experience, hearsay or simply because you like the name - all are valid reasons in this poll!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, a year of travelling? Care to elaborate? That sounds awesome.

I, for one, would go for Fiji.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Cook Islands. :)

Been to Fiji. It was nice, but not spectacular. Well, in some ways Fiji was spectacular (although one time, certain bad people chasing me down the street in Nadi, all after my money.....which wasn't spectacular), but I recommend the Cook Islands just because it's a mystery to me, and I'd love to go and find out if it's better. ;)

4. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Been to both. You can't go wrong (so long as you get out of the 2 major cities in Fiji). But, I prefer the Cook Islands. Aitutaki is, well, perfect. Google it.

Plus, there remains a bit of political unrest in Fiji, following the most recent military coup.

5. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'll be thirty years old in October next year, so before I reach that 'landmark' I plan to go around the world at least once. It's something I wanted to do straight from school before university, when I was 18, but I never got around to it.

Now I've had about all I can take at work so it's now or never. I've had some nice conversations with an Independent Travel Agency rep who helped me narrow down my original itinerary to the one below and I will be booking my ticket with it's final itinerary on Monday - that's why I'm asking for help!

To fund the trip I'm raiding my savings and selling everything that isn't vital whilst living extremely cheaply between now and the departure date.

(I know it's sounds corny, but I'm hoping to 'discover' myself whilst I'm travelling.)

The route:

London Heathrow - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore - Bali - Australia - New Zealand - Fiji or Cook Islands - USA (LA overland to New York) - London Heathrow

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Fiji - I went there twice in one year - it was awesome. They have great diving/snorkeling, fantastic culture and excellent Indian cuisine.

Do a little meke! :D

D

7. cube macrumors G5

You are not getting one of those "unlimited air travel around the world in one direction" tickets?

8. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I did enquire about them, but it would have cost more than double the price of the ticket I'm buying. This would have meant more 'destinations' but less 'travelling', if you catch my meaning?

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, you're my hero. I've always wanted to do just that. Travel the world for a year. But how do you do it? How do you have enough money to survive for a year without working?

10. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I've worked out a rough budget - from experience I know I'm good at living cheaply if needs must - and the rest is going to be down to good ol' fashioned luck!

Besides, I can always look for some work if I need to.

11. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The Result!

The poll is now closed (well, it's still open since I don't know how to close it!) and the Cook Islands was the winner with 66% of the votes.

6th - 12th April 2008. Booked. (Subject to a change of date.)

Thank you to all those who voted!

:)

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've never heard of Cook islands, so I picked Fiji. I don't know anything about either one though.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A469a Safari/419.3)
    Wow that sounds amazing, I am incredibly envious! Have fun and by god, takes lots of photos and post them! :)

14. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

15. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This sounds exactly like what I am going to do when I am done with college (2 years). Keep us up to date, I have been planning my trip for about a year now.

I would go to Fiji. I have always wanted to go there.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman