File access across Partitions

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
If I have a large partition with Leopard on it and a smaller one with Tiger. Can I access files from one to the other? Any limits on this?

Thanks

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Anyone who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when you partition a drive it will show up in finder as a separate device, so it is just like an additional HD. You should be able to move files from partition to partition with no problems at all.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Anyone who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when you partition a drive it will show up in finder as a separate device, so it is just like an additional HD. You should be able to move files from partition to partition with no problems at all.
You are correct in that both partitions will mount and be accessible. I haven't tried this for a while but I think the User home folders on the other partition are protected from access. This would help prevent anyone from cloning your disk and then casually browsing it, so I think it's a deliberate security feature