File/application transfer to new aluminum MacBook from iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenypowa, Oct 18, 2008.

1. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I tried searching the apple website, and it talks about using migration assistant with firewire to transfer the files.

Now that the new macbook doesn't have firewire port, how do I transfer files and applications from my iBook?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

2. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

This is done via Ethernet on the FW-less MBs. Sorry I can't give you the step-by-step since I'm still waiting on my MB--maybe someone else can chime in here?

If you haven't yet, download the Software Update that's been available the last couple of days; it seems to specifically address the issue of using MigAss without FW.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Migration Assistant now supports migrating files over the network. make sure both of your Macs are up to date as there was a recent Migration Assistant update.

use Migration Assistant in the setup or open it from the Utilities folder on your new MacBook, select "From another Mac", select "Use Network" on the next page and then follow the instructions.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

TOO COMPLICATED. take it from me, all you do is take a simple ethernet wire. plug one end into your ibook, the other end into your new macbook. done. i know because i just did it. migration assistant used to ask for a firewire connection, now it just asks for an ethernet connection.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ ok well i dont have a another Mac to test it on :p just wrote what MA told me to do. either way they are both pretty easy to do… youve gotta give it to Apple on that one.

6. kenypowa thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great. Thanks for the tip. !

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I have been pondering the past few days at "upgrading" my current 4 month old 2.4ghz 4gb to a new alu macbook and came to my last question this morning at migration assistant due to the missing FW400.
    I have to work away tomorrow so was hoping everything could be ported across to the new macbook with ease this afternoon and after going in to migration assistant and seeing the "ethernet" option i was half a happy bunny :) (just need to hope they have them at the store when I go there today).