File association configuration?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sixcorners, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sixcorners macrumors newbie

How do I reset file associations? For some reason .sh files is currently set to be opened by Netbeans and other editors. Is there a better extension for shell scripts? I've heard of .command. Should I use that?
    How do I change all music and video files to be opened by VLC? Are there any pseudo URL schemes that can be associated with the video/audio player that I can change too?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. For any filetype, right-click on a file (or Command-I) to Get Info.
    2. Next to Open with: click the dropdown menu and select the app you want
    3. Click Change All

3. sixcorners thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there an easier route? VLC currently supports a huge amount of file extensions. Is there a text file somewhere that I could do a little find and replace? Would it be ok to replace the quicktime binary with a link to vlc? What about if instead there was just an extra context menu item on all files that said play in VLC?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

VLC for Mac doesn't have a file association setting. You can only do it through the method described. You only have to do it once for each file type.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Has anybody done this and it still doesn't associate to the file? IE you pick .wmv to open with vlc. You click out and try another file and it still opens with say quicktime after you have already associated it? This happens all the time for me.

6. sixcorners, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

sixcorners thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you getting to the change all button? If not it just works on that one file.

So, 92 file types/schemes * 2 computers = 184 dialogue boxes to make VLC the default on both?

Also, what about shell scripts? .sh is still good? What is .command for?