file association issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jackstraw111, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jackstraw111 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to figure out how to restore file associations to their defaults, but not as a blanket setting for all files of the same general type.

Before I made the mistake of resetting it, .jpg files that had been opened and saved in PhotoShop automatically opened in PhotoShop when clicked. Any .jpg files that had NOT already been saved in PhotoShop defaulted to Preview.app.

I had an issue with a couple of older image files and opened the file info on one of them. Without thinking, I told all files of the type to open in PhotoShop (guess I was thinking I was applying the change to just that folder. Wrong.)

Now, I can only get one or the other option for all .jpg's, not both. All Preview or all PhotoShop.

Does anyone know of a way of bringing back the original dual-opening behavior? It may not seem like a big deal, but I work with thousands of images each day and having Leopard differentiate between them makes a big difference in work flow.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only way I know of is to change the association on a file-by-file basis, unfortunately.

3. crewrules101 macrumors member

Are you just trying to see what each image is? Hence the using Preview? A quick solution if you are using Leopard is to select the file you want to view, but instead of opening it, hit the spacebar and it will give you a quick look. This works with most types of files, not just images.

4. jackstraw111 thread starter macrumors newbie

The idea is to open a folder filled with unprocessed .jpg image files from the camera or compact flash chip, select all of them, and then double click to open them all in Preview with a sidebar of thumbnails. It's the quickest and most accurate way of editing images that I know of. It really fits my needs. Quicklook is fine for individual images, but doesn't allow me to quickly compare multiple images against each other.

Yes, I can still select all and drag them into Preview to get the same effect, but I'm trying to figure out how to restore the original behavior of automatically handling unprocessed images en masse in Preview simply by double clicking while at the same time, letting PhotoShop handle images already edited and processed.

Please don't suggest iPhoto -- I find that to be too balky for my image-editing needs and I don't want iPhoto to retain and store the thousands of files I deal with weekly.

I realize I probably can't go back and re-associate the image files I've accidentally changed already on the machine short of doing each one individually, but I'd like to revert back to the original behavior of having the operating system recognize incoming unprocessed .jpg image files as being different from Adobe PhotoShop JPEG files.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't completely follow you, but... I suppose this will work.

First, do a change all on JPEG files in general to make them open in Preview again. Then, if you select all the JPEGs you know to be processed (you'll need to have them all in the same folder for this to work) and hold Option before selecting Get Info, you'll get a Multiple File Info window, where you can mass-change the association for just these files to Photoshop. (Do NOT click Change All, or you'll have to do this all over again!)