File associations are driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rmlloyd, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rmlloyd macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to know how to easily change the file association of a particular file type on the mac. I have many frustrating file type assoctiaions on my machine and I cannot workout how OSX things a .sql file should be opened by Notepad in Parallels or a .bat file cannot be opened and edited like a text file.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Ryan

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Take one of the files and go a "Get Info" on it. In the window use the drop down for "Open with:" and choose the correct application. Then click the "Change All..." button.

3. rayward macrumors 68000

Dragging and dropping the file icon onto the application icon you want, will do the trick too.

4. rmlloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks merl1n, that worked. I can now open .sql files with the mac text editor. However the icon still stays the same, windows notepad with the parallels bow in the corner. Is there a way to change all the icons en masse?

This is one area where windows seem a bit more logical :-(

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This is probably due to the Finder not updating. If you log out and log back in, the Finder will update. After that, if the icons still appear incorrectly, you'll need to delete the invisible ".DS_Store" files. These files contain the information relative to a file such as icons for files, etc.

You can use a utility such as OnyX to delete these files or manually remove them yourself using Terminal. Once you remove these files, logout or reboot. They will be rebuilt.