File backup applications for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KriStellar26, Jan 13, 2019.

1. KriStellar26 macrumors member

Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good back up program for files on Mac computers. Keep in mind I come from Windows.. I’ve had a Mac for two years. I’ve been trying a few options.. one being carbonite, which is what I used on windows. But I don’t like the way it works on my Mac. I have carbon coby cloner.. which I’ve used to do a complete image of my hard drive. But I want something more geared towards backing up important files and folders, OFFSITE. So if something happened to my physical hardware.. I’d still have a backup. Something that will automatically sync when I make changes on my mac.. I’ve also been experimenting with google backup and sync. I like how it works mostly.. but I don’t know if I trust it. Is there something specifically designed for Mac that does this?? thank you!

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Take a look at Backblaze. Very much a Mac application, inexpensive, runs in the background, stores the data offsite. You have a range of choices for restoring data. You can recover single files over the internet all the way up to getting a complete backup on a HD sent to you by Fedex.

Backblaze.com

3. lineengraver macrumors newbie

1. Arq Backup. It is better to use it in conjunction with Wasabi.com storage
    Or Arq Cloud Backup
    arqbackup.com

2. CloudBerry Backup
    cloudberrylab.com/backup/desktop/mac.aspx

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

I second ARQ. It does end to end encryption and stores encrypted backups on your cloud server. You select the files to copy and schedule, ARQ then runs in the background. I use it with my Office365 account since I already get 1 TB for 5 users so I can backup multiple machines to their own unique cloud.

5. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

Second for BackBlaze which I’ve been using since moving from Carbonite a couple of years ago. I also use Carbon Copy Cloner periodically for a bootable image should everything head south.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member