Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KriStellar26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good back up program for files on Mac computers. Keep in mind I come from Windows.. I’ve had a Mac for two years. I’ve been trying a few options.. one being carbonite, which is what I used on windows. But I don’t like the way it works on my Mac. I have carbon coby cloner.. which I’ve used to do a complete image of my hard drive. But I want something more geared towards backing up important files and folders, OFFSITE. So if something happened to my physical hardware.. I’d still have a backup. Something that will automatically sync when I make changes on my mac.. I’ve also been experimenting with google backup and sync. I like how it works mostly.. but I don’t know if I trust it. Is there something specifically designed for Mac that does this?? thank you!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Take a look at Backblaze. Very much a Mac application, inexpensive, runs in the background, stores the data offsite. You have a range of choices for restoring data. You can recover single files over the internet all the way up to getting a complete backup on a HD sent to you by Fedex.

Backblaze.com

Reactions: Apple_Robert

lineengraver

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2018
Ukraine
1. Arq Backup. It is better to use it in conjunction with Wasabi.com storage
Or Arq Cloud Backup
arqbackup.com

2. CloudBerry Backup
cloudberrylab.com/backup/desktop/mac.aspx

Reactions: Weaselboy

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I second ARQ. It does end to end encryption and stores encrypted backups on your cloud server. You select the files to copy and schedule, ARQ then runs in the background. I use it with my Office365 account since I already get 1 TB for 5 users so I can backup multiple machines to their own unique cloud.

Reactions: Weaselboy

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
Second for BackBlaze which I’ve been using since moving from Carbonite a couple of years ago. I also use Carbon Copy Cloner periodically for a bootable image should everything head south.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.