Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Just installed a new SSD in my MacBook Pro, and I'm trying to copy a my iTunes folder which I moved to an external hard drive before i proceeded with the installation.

However, every I start copying, at precisely 37.80 / 91.45 GB every time, I get the "DISK was removed improperly without ejecting" error. As soon as I attempt to the dismiss the alert, my computer freezes. No mouse response, no keyboard response. The only thing I can do is power it down buy holding down the power button.

This error did not occur when I copied anything else from my external hard drive. It also occurs at that exact same point every time.

I have already done a volume repair and a disk repair of the external via disk utility.

any ideas?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just installed a new SSD in my MacBook Pro, and I'm trying to copy a my iTunes folder which I moved to an external hard drive before i proceeded with the installation.

However, every I start copying, at precisely 37.80 / 91.45 GB every time, I get the "DISK was removed improperly without ejecting" error. As soon as I attempt to the dismiss the alert, my computer freezes. No mouse response, no keyboard response. The only thing I can do is power it down buy holding down the power button.

This error did not occur when I copied anything else from my external hard drive. It also occurs at that exact same point every time.

I have already done a volume repair and a disk repair of the external via disk utility.

any ideas?

Corrupt Data or your SSD is having hardware problems.
If you copy Data it will always copy it the same way, so folders and files get copied in the exact same file/folder hierarchical structure, i.e. A-B-C......
It gets to a point where it might get into data corruption or a certain point on the SSD where a sector is physically broken and the system crashes.

You really should check the SSD and/or file structure.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Corrupt Data or your SSD is having hardware problems.
If you copy Data it will always copy it the same way, so folders and files get copied in the exact same file/folder hierarchical structure, i.e. A-B-C......
It gets to a point where it might get into data corruption or a certain point on the SSD where a sector is physically broken and the system crashes.

You really should check the SSD and/or file structure.

How do I go about checking those things?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How do I go about checking those things?

Disk Warrior and Techtool Pro are just two programs which check for hardware/file corruption, none of them are free.

What I would do first though, create 4 differently named 10 GB Disk Images with Disk Utility, create them on the external disk and put them into 1 folder, then if you've done this drag/copy the folder to the SSD, if it crashes again it is almost sure it is not Data corruption but HW SSD problems or a bug in the OS which I think is not the case.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 116

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Disk Warrior and Techtool Pro are just two programs which check for hardware/file corruption, none of them are free.

What I would do first though, create 4 differently named 10 GB Disk Images with Disk Utility, create them on the external disk and put them into 1 folder, then if you've done this drag/copy the folder to the SSD, if it crashes again it is almost sure it is not Data corruption but HW SSD problems or a bug in the OS which I think is not the case.

Folder copying worked, so I think the SSD is okay. How can i check / repair the corrupt iTunes folder?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Folder copying worked, so I think the SSD is okay. How can i check / repair the corrupt iTunes folder?

So, you copied 4 X 10 GB to the SSD, if this worked then it is more or less guaranteed the SSD is ok.

There is no free program to check file integrity as far as I know, only paid programs.

You could try to find a free folder sync program and look if this works, it seems your iTunes folder is rather large and copying them over folder by folder is too much work.

Carbon Copy cloner is a free program, up to version 3.4.6 but you need to be careful with this program, it's very powerful and can delete things you don't want.

This might be a good one and it is free.
With this you can create an empty folder named the same as the one you want to copy and then use this program to sync both folders.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I bought DiskWarrior, seemed like a good thing to have. How do I use it to repair files.

For your external disk?

Open DW, click on directory, choose the external and hit start, you can also check files in the files option.

This app will one day safe your day, it can repair disks which are unrecoverable by Disk Utility.
Only caveat is you need to boot up from an external bootable OS (X) to do it on the internal disk.

Note: see screenshot in my former post.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
For your external disk?

Open DW, click on directory, choose the external and hit start, you can also check files in the files option.

This app will one day safe your day, it can repair disks which are unrecoverable by Disk Utility.
Only caveat is you need to boot up from an external bootable OS (X) to do it on the internal disk.

Note: see screenshot in my former post.

I ended up putting my old hard drive in an old mac I had and I put it into target disk and extracting the iTunes folder that way. Thanks though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.