File copy help. This is driving me insane.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kaworu1986, May 7, 2008.

1. kaworu1986 macrumors member

kaworu1986

I am having an issue when copying (well, trying to copy) files from my external USB hard drive to my home/music folder.
    The process starts but always fails with Finder telling me that "The operation cannot be completed because an item with the name <whatever> already exists". Needless to say, I start with an empty folder (and make sure the recycle bin is empty).

I have also tried rebooting and using disk utility to check the system volume (says no errors have been found) to no avail.

Apart from the stupidity of the finder's behavior (seriously, windows asks what to do if a file with the same name is found, instead of just aborting the copy operation), I am really at a loss for what to do and would like to ask for suggestions.

The USB disk is NTFS formatted and I have Paragon installed to write on it.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You said that you were copying from USB -> Local drive.

But this statement seems to indicate that you're trying to do Local drive -> USB drive.

Which direction are you going?

3. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

I'm copying from the USB drive to the system one: I only specified I have Paragon installed as I believe it substitutes OSX's built in read-only NTFS driver with its own one and thought it was worth specifying.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, that may be the source of your problems.

By default the Finder will alert you in there's already a file with that name, thusly (see attachment).

Is that similar to what you're seeing?

And are you trying to copy a whole load of files at once, or do you get a fail message when you try one at a time?

Attached Files:

5. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

The error message is different from the one you posted: mine just tells me there's an error and doesn't give me any choice but to acknowledge it, which terminates the copy operation.

I am copying a bunch of files at a time (to be more specific, I am copying a bunch of directories with files in them at a time); also, I noticed the affected files are always the same.

Unfortunately I can't really copy each file singularly, as I have around 4,000 of them.

Even more strangely, the same happens when copying those files to a location in the system volume which had never been used before (I tried copying into a temp directory I created in my home folder).

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can, for testing purposes.

What version of OS X is this on which Mac?

7. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

I'm running OS 10.5.2 on one of the first Santa Rosa MacBook Pros (Core2 duo 2.4ghz, 2GB ram, GeForce 8600M GT 256mb vram, 160 GB hdd).

<quote>You can, for testing purposes.</quote>
    Please, tell me this was a joke: the thought scares me.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Pardon?

You can't bring yourself to try copying a couple of single files from your USB to your internal drive see if it works or fails?

We won't get very far if you don't.

9. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

Are you talking about copying only the files that seem to be causing the failure or all 4000 (four thousand) one by one?

Tried copying some files singularly: the issue only presents itself when copying a directory where there's none: if a dir with the same name exists, the prompt asks me what to do.
    When copying files on their own the issue doesn't seem to present itself. (I have tried a bunch)

Tried copying one of the directories containing a file creating the problem to my home folder, and got the error. Copying that folder (with all files, including the troublemaker) to the music folder, after deleting the copy in there, goes without hitches.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do the problem filenames/foldernames contain any strange characters?

11. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

No, they use standard ASCII ones: the problem filenames don't even have accented letters.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. bolty macrumors newbie

I have exactly same problem, My MBP is new and I just installed Paragon 6.0.

I have a strong guess that it is Paragon because I was copying seamlessly before I install it,

any ideas if this is confirmed?

TIA
    Bolty

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow