FiLE CoPYING issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robomcpho, May 30, 2008.

1. robomcpho macrumors newbie

robomcpho

I have a external firewire 500 drive that i want to copy 100 GB of files to. (theyre coming from a 250GB external)

Thing is when i copy to the 500GB drive things go good for minute until it encounters a corrupt file, then i get an error message saying it cant write it and then i have to bail out or stop, which defeats the whole copy job...(OSStatus -36)

this is becoming painful...i suppose i can dig through and dump the bad file which is tedious...i got 100GB!!

Is there anyway to avoid this stop and start routine...I got work to do!

let me know!

thanks!

roBeRT:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

How many files are you talking about? 100GB is a lot.

What I would do, is grab a bunch of files (about 10GB) at a time and put them in another folder. Repeat doing this until you have 10 folders. Try copying to the external one folder at a time. If a folder copies with no problems, take those files and move them back to their original location and then move on to the next folder. Once you encounter the error, you now know which folder has the bad file. Proceed copying the other folders one at a time. If you encounter any more errors, then you may more than one corrupted file.

Now you can start to isolate the folder(s) containing the corrupt files, by repeating the same process.

This is a bit tedious, but faster than trying to find the corrupted file(s) one by one.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You could probably write/find an apple script or shell script to do this and skip/list the corrupt files...