File Dates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wigwamcan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. wigwamcan macrumors newbie

Does anybody know where Apple publish the rules by which the OS updates the creation and modified dates and the logic thereof? I have a downloaded file with a creation date 2 April time 19:13 and a modified date 2 April time 18:58. So, it was modified before it was created. Huh? Then if I copy the file I get the created and modified dates as 2 April time 18:58 despite the new copy being created 4 April. Logic?:confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't "publish" the rules on date stamping and to be honest I believe you're over thinking the issue. Does it really matter that the time is off slightly between the creation and modified date?

3. wigwamcan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes, it does matter. I know the example I gave was a few minutes but other examples have a bigger date/time gap. My issue is that if I copy the file as in my earlier message, when I come to make sure a few weeks later that the copied file is not "out of date", the system thinks it is out of date because the original has a date/time more recent (albeit in this case by 4 minutes) and thus wastes my life by copying the original over again. Etc.

Thanks for replying but I have found that, generally, Mac lovers seem to have a laid-back approach of either 1) if the OS doesn't work correctly don't worry about it and 2) why are you trying to do this anyway.:(:(

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

do you have an example of a time it was off by days/weeks or just the 4 minute example, im pretty sure it wouldnt have the wrong date might just be a bug if its within a few minutes

5. wigwamcan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody but let's end this thread. Another "just 4 minutes, just a bug" type comment, indicating again that Mac users seem to accept "nearly correct" in their operating system is OK. I've made the decision that Macs are not serious computers and it is little wonder they have never broken into the commercial market with the lack of documentation and "this doesn't work but we are f'd if we are going to tell you why". So it's back to a PC for me and this heap of dog dirt can go on Ebay. Best quote I ever saw was that the iMac was "an over-priced Fisher-Price activity centre for adults". Sums it up really.