File Deduplication

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by compuwar, Dec 28, 2010.

1. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I've been struggling with deduping my image files for years. It seems every program I find simply does ok until it is presented with a large amount of data, then it fills up memory (8G on my MacPro) and falls over.

Well, I think I may finally have found the answer to my problem that doesn't involve me spending a week pulling my hair out trying to write my own solution. Singlemizer seems to do the right stuff no matter what.

http://minimalisticdev.com/Singlemizer/

It meets my basic functional requirements:

1. Can filter what it's looking for.
    2. Uses a good hash mechanism to actually compare file data.
    3. Doesn't store everything in memory as it goes along.
    4. Can be purchased with PayPal.
    5. Performance is very good.

I have no connection with the company other than just having forked out the $20 registration fee despite still being under the 20 free trials.

It chunked along on 1.1TB of data in a reasonable amount of time, and the system did waaay better than with my last attempts with other software. I was able to dedup an entire hard drive in a single run without crashing or grinding the system to a swapping halt on the very first try.

The application seems to do the right thing deletion-wise. It organizes everything in the trash by original folder, so undoing things before emptying the trash will be sane if necessary and the directory is date/time named too, so multiple runs can be figured out. This means keeping things like my Zenfolio duplicates can be done post-deletion rather than having to specify the folder name in an exclusion list, though long-term the list is the way to go.

One license is good for every Mac I own too- it's nice to not have to worry about using it on my laptop drives too- so far I'm a happy camper.

Paul

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Looks awesome, wish there was a version with those features that worked on duplicates in an Aperture library. :confused:

3. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

I always use referenced files, I don't trust any database with that data! I've seen way too many corrupt databases in my lifetime...

Paul

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

How did you wind up with dupes in the first place?

5. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

Years and years of copying one hard drive to another to another.

Paul