File Delegation for dual-drive macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Visionblue, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

I did the dual-drive surgery on my 2010 macbook last night and it was very successful. My new SSD is blazing fast and my original HDD is installed in place of the optical drive and is totally intact and working.

For as much information I found online about the actual purchasing/installing/formatting process; I have been unable to find a post-op guide on how to organize the drives properly as to optimize them.

I have osx and all of my applications now installed on the SSD and I have all of my files backed up to an external drive. I haven't yet erased and formatted my HDD but I'm planning on doing that later this afternoon.

My question is about delegating which files stay on which drives and keeping it an organized happy eco system. For example; if iPhoto and iTunes are installed on the SSD but the actual music and pictures are stored on the HDD, how to I get these programs to recognize that I want to keep files on the HDD when doing imports, auto add, etc?

Another example is when I downloaded drop box, it started synching all of my files to the SSD and quickly took up about 4gb before I even noticed it was happening. I about had a heart attack as I only purchased a 120GB SSD and I don't want to over use my space. I explored settings but found no way to move the 'dropbox' home folder.

I hope what Im saying makes sense and doesn't sound like tech-tardant babbling. Any advice is appreciated.

PS: I'm also noticing quite a bit more heat coming from the bottom of my macbook. It has always run hot & I realize this could be from all of the installing and filing moving I'm doing, but is this normal for Dual Drive or should I be concerned?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2506

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

This should help you out. As for the heat, was there a lot of dust in it?

3. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! That helps a lot. As for the heat issue; yes there was quite a bit and I did my best to lightly remove it. The heat has decreased significantly now. I think it was because of all of the app installation and moving files around.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any time the CPU is pegged at high usage it will do that. Plus the pre-2011 Macs with the Core i series processors always run a little hotter in my experience. As for Dropbox, click the icon in your menu bar. Then click the little gear in the bottom left and choose "Preferences". Go to the account tab and select a new location. This is normally your home folder on the startup volume.