File deletion...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by don Juan, Apr 13, 2007.

1. don Juan macrumors newbie

Greetings all!
    Someone please help me! I save JPEG files on my Macbook from the Net. I have an external hard drive that I regularly back up to. When I delete the files from my Macbook they also disappear from the external drive. Why is this happening and how can I prevent it? I appreciate any and all help. I am relatively new to the Mac world. Thanks!
    M Brown

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How exactly do you do your backups?

Many small backup apps will mirror what's on the source drive, so if you delete files there, they'll be deleted on the destination drive.

3. don Juan thread starter macrumors newbie

Backups...

Thanks for the response.
    I use the backup program that came with the Seagate HD. Can someone recommend a backup program that won't delete these files? I lost over 300 files and it is time consuming to say the least.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Personally, I don't consider keeping files in one place i.e. an external drive, as a backup. What happens if that drive breaks if it's not backed up itself?

But what you've described are called incremental backups... where you can retrieve older files and 'roll back' to earlier states if necessary.

I use Retrospect at work and at home, but that costs about $100 or so. There may be other cheaper solutions out there but I don't have any experience of those.