Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viborg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
While using my MacBook to access an external drive which is formatted Fat32, I attempted to slightly alter the name of a file with a particularly long file name. Once I changed the name, the file extension was cropped, and the file became inaccessible. Now I can see that the file is there (with no extension at the end of the name), but if I click on it or highlight it, it just disappears, and when visible, in place of the file icon there is just a dashed line box.

The file is also visible with Terminal, but if I try to take any action Terminal reports that there is "no such file or directory." I tried DiskUtility, DiskWarrior, and File Buddy but apparently they don't work too well with the Fat32 format. I also tried repairing permissions, restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive, and also rebuilding the desktop (?) using alt-command on startup...all to no avail.

It's clear what happened: I screwed up - I should have reformatted the drive before I put any files on it, right? But now, I just want my file back. I know it's there. I can see it, and I'm afraid to alter the drive in any way until I can access this file. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.