Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
With the introduction of Mac OS 9 came on-the-fly Finder file encryption, I was recently wondering where that went. It's not a major thing; although it would make me feel safer about certain documents, I have no real need for it.

Does anyone know why it wasn't implemented in OS X, or what happened to it?
And to anyone who does use file encryption software: which is the best?

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Well OSX has FileVault which encrypts your whole home folder.
It is in the Secuirty option in system preferences.

Though if you only want to encrypt a specific file or folder check out the free app Cryptor.

http://limiter-inc.com/cryptor.html

Yeah, I'm well aware of Filevault, and it is a horrible, anti-productive tool which can easily compromise your system. I just wanted to know where the file-specific file encryption went, as I'd prefer something right in the Finder rather than a 3rd party add-on.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
How about an encrypted .dmg? Works well.

I know this too, but I don't want to have to mount it every time, I just wanted file-specific encryption. As I already have an application which locks/hides folders.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Yeah, I'm well aware of Filevault, and it is a horrible, anti-productive tool which can easily compromise your system. I just wanted to know where the file-specific file encryption went, as I'd prefer something right in the Finder rather than a 3rd party add-on.

You know I am just going to chime in here. I have heard these 'terrible' and 'catastrophic' issues with Filevault dating back to when it was 1st introduced. I can't comment on previous versions, but SL Filevault (on an SSD) has been flawless for me. I do use encrypted dmg's when called for, but a system wide encryption has worked really well for my MBA.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
You know I am just going to chime in here. I have heard these 'terrible' and 'catastrophic' issues with Filevault dating back to when it was 1st introduced. I can't comment on previous versions, but SL Filevault (on an SSD) has been flawless for me. I do use encrypted dmg's when called for, but a system wide encryption has worked really well for my MBA.

Are you talking about Filevault? Because it's not system wide. There are a couple out there that work on Macs (PGP and another, I forget the names).

illy123

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
As far as I'm aware the options to create an encrypted container are: Truecrypt, cryptor, OSX's Disk Utility.

However those have to be mounted; only filevault encrypts files without the need to mount them (well I guess if you don't login as mounting).

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I assume you´re looking for the same as I am...I do use encrypted diskimage and also truecrypt (multiplatform) for the "sensitive" stuff

however small files (.txt, .rtf...)
the way I do this in win is using winrar.. rightclick and create an encrypted archive.. I never unrar later on, just read/write and it updates it

in os x the best I came up with was zipped with password.. in PathFinder its fairly easy but far from automated.. u can create a keycombo
dont know if you´re using pathfinder.. it´s a not so sucky filehandler/explorer anyways

Arrandale

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
With the introduction of Mac OS 9 came on-the-fly Finder file encryption, I was recently wondering where that went. It's not a major thing; although it would make me feel safer about certain documents, I have no real need for it.

Does anyone know why it wasn't implemented in OS X, or what happened to it?
And to anyone who does use file encryption software: which is the best?

it's there, very well incorporated, but you need to turn it on

it's called filevault, and you'll find it in the security prefpane

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I use TrueCrypt and I think it's the best because it works wonderfully and you don't need to pay a dime in order to use it. It's cross-platform compatible as well.

Interesting, I'm gonna have a look at that.

How does it work with Time Machine? Can I still restore individual files? Can I restore from backups if I rebuild my laptop?

I used FileVault before and last everything after trying to do a restore so am not keen to repeat that

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
How does it work with Time Machine? Can I still restore individual files? Can I restore from backups if I rebuild my laptop?

TrueCrypt isn't comparable to FileVault, it's comparable to an encrypted DMG. It's just a single file that acts as a container to hold files. Time Machine would backup the entire TrueCrypt volume so you would not be able to backup individual files. The only thing comparable to FileVault for Mac that I'm aware of is PGP, but it's not free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.