File Error Message - pList item, Disk Warrior

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by garycurtis, May 28, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

The files shown below are corrupted according to a DiskWarrior file check. It was my understanding with earlier OS versions, that the solution was to discard a bad pList, and then the parent Application (or the system itself) would refresh it in the same Library folder. I have done this with Applications before.

I fixed Permissions in Disk Utility before doing any of this.

And now, running 10.9.3 as my system, I navigate to the GO drop down menu at the top of the screen. While depressing the OPTION key. The LIBRARY appears in the menu.

Why can't I find most of these items in the Preferences submenu of Library?

Where are they hiding?

Is the solution to throw them away?

Does any of this matter, or is Disk Warrior sending a false alarm?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are seeing there is stored versions of Pages documents you created. They are in a hidden folder at the path below. If you open Finder then click the Go menu then Go to folder and enter the path below you will see the files.

Unless you are having some problem though, I would just ignore this. I suspect there is nothing wrong at all and DW is just flagging these files as bad plists when they are not.

Code:
    /.DocumentRevisions-V100/PerUID/501/33/com.apple.documentVersions/

3. garycurtis, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

I am having a problem. Even with Disk Warrior located on an external boot drive (with USB-3 connection), when I start DW and select that main hard drive (the one with the corrupted pLists), DW won't run.

It tells me that the HD is "busy". How could it be busy when I am running the OS from an external drive.

I get a DW error message isn't explained in the Troubleshooting chapter of the DW documentation. Error 2153. It isn't explained. That's why I resorted to clearing up the pList items. Thinking that this might allow access to optimize the drive.

Tell me something please. Is that hidden directory mentioned in the Missing Manual by David Pogue? Does it deal with TERMINAL commands or is it just relating to file hierarchy?

out of curiosity I tried to navigate to that folder pathway. It couldn't be found under the Go to Folder in the GO pull-down menu. Not that it matters.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I meant was other than DW showing the error messages, are you having some problem with your system that got you started on all this?

I had one of the Pogue books years ago when I first got my Mac, but I don't think it got into this level of detail about files.

5. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

No other problems. The disk is 8% fragmented and the system hesitates when i try to select an item on the desk top. Or try to right click and trash it.

The computer behaves like it is 1999 and OS 9 all over again. S...L...O...W.
    I thought optimization might rectify that.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really don't think those files would cause you any problems. Can you tell me what model and year your system is and exactly what is wrong and maybe we can help you sort it out.

7. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Late 2013 iMac 27", i5 processor. Running on OS 10.9.3

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That should hum along fine on Mavericks. Did this slowness just start with Mavericks, or was it something else that started it.

Start Activity Monitor and look in the CPU tab and sort by CPU usage. Is there anything there consuming high CPIU cycles even when you are not really doing anything?

While in Activity Monitor also look in the memory tab. Look at the bottom where the memory pressure bar is. Is that green showing you have enough memory?

Try a safe mode boot and see how it runs then. Safe mode bypasses any startup/login items and that will tell you if one of those items is causing a conflict and slowing things down.