Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
UK
Hi

I have been sending files to print in Tif format but would it be the same result if the files were saved as a pdf? Is there any loss in quality etc?

Thanks
Katy

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
yes, how much of a difference it all depends on the configuration of the pdf, ie image compression etc. Usually a high res low compression pdf is comparable in my experiences.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I have been sending files to print in Tif format but would it be the same result if the files were saved as a pdf? Is there any loss in quality etc?

In theory, a resolution TIFF should give you as good a printed output as any other format, and obviously better than any lossy format, like JPEG.

In practice, if there is any significant amount of text, then I would always go with a PDF, since text from a TIFF always seems to look slightly fuzzy.

Short version: photographic images won't go far wrong with any lossless graphic format. TIFF has always been my preference. Text or more graphical images will probably benefit from a vector format. PDF lets you combine the two.

Cheers

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.