File formats for both MacBook & PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Stevie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Big Stevie, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Im wanting help please understanding the best cross platform file format to use on individual files when using an external hard drive shared between my 2012 macbook pro and my PS3 (I understand the different types of formatting for external hard drives - MSDOS(FAT32), NTFS, HFS+ etc...).

I have lots of high def camcorder video files stored in iPhoto and when I copy them onto my MSDOS formatted ext hard drive they appear as MOV files, but when connected to my PS3 they won't even appear let alone play!! Some of the other file types include MTS, MP4, MPG, AVI & VOB. Some will play on the PS3, some won't. Some will play automatically on my macbook, some require VLC.

So is there a specific file format/type that would work on both devices, without requiring additional software? Should I first use Handbrake to convert them all to say mp4 and then copy over to my MSDOS external hard drive? Will MP4 files remain high def?

2. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks. I ensured that none of the files exceeded 4GB. But if a file did exceed 4GB then I assume that it would be only that particular field that wouldn't play, and the rest would?

4. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

5. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thats great, thanks.

So would mp4 be the best file type to play on both devices?

6. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

7. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Just done a bit more research which suggests...

http://fileinfo.com/extension/mov
    mov. files are developed by Apple but are also compatible with Windows.

You can convert MOV files to more standard media file formats with various media applications. For example, VLC media player allows you to convert a MOV video to an .MP4 file or a MOV audio file to the .OGG format.

NOTE: MOV and MP4 files are similar and can both be played by QuickTime. However, MP4 files are recognized as an international standard and are more widely supported than MOV files.

So maybe I do need to convert the .mov files to .mp4. I just hope that .mp4 maintains the high def quality.

8. dyt1983, Mar 23, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816