File is in use by another application or operation cannot be completed on external

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrpeepers, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

I have an external that I think is acting up. I use it strictly for backup and have just erased it a few times over.

I'm trying to copy data to it via Chronosync and it gets to a certain but not specific place and says, "File is in use by another application." Ok, so abort the copy. Then just for giggles, attempt to drag or copy ANY file to that drive. Then I get this:

The operation cannot be completed the the item [my file/folder] is in use.

The thing is, it's NOT in use.

Or then sometimes I get this:

You cannot copy some of these items to the destination because their names are too long for the destination. Do you want to skip copying these items and continue copying the other items?

The friggen file name is 1 character!

What the HE!! is going on with this drive and how do I fix it? It's entirely possible this Seagate Freeagent is going bad. But Disk Utility says it OK. Disk Warrior says its OK... So pardon my language but... WTF?

Then!!!

If I go in to Disk Utility and try to erase it... I get this:

Disk erase failed with the error:
    Could not unmount disk

A "verify disk" gives me this:

Invalid B-tree node size. Volume check failed. Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like one of two things:

1. An odd file system error - if this is the case, the best fix is to first restart your Mac, then try erasing it again (while you're in Disk Utility, make sure the partition scheme is set correctly for your intended usage of the disk).
    2. Hardware issue - your only recourse is to use a different disk.

3. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

1) Did that a million times
    2) Yeah, the disk was still under warranty with Seagate, so they're sending me a new one.