File listings incredibly slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apocrathia, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard connected to a Drobo loaded with 4x1tb drives. This machine is hooked into my TV running Plex and also serves as my home server (I just installed XAMPP, SL Server was overkill for me).
    So here is my problem: browsing my filesystem is slow as hell. This is over AFP via Finder, locally via Finder, over AFP via Terminal, SSH, and even locally via Terminal (ls). Seriously, a local 'ls' takes like an hour to list some folders.
    I've tried running 'mdutil -E volumename' to clear out the metadata/spotlight index, but that didn't help at all.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

2. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I've gotta give this a bump. I can't find anything else online, and mroogle isn't really helping either.

3. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Have you tried SMB instead if AFP or is Metadata that important? I don't have a drobo, does it even support SMB?

4. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

The Drobo is just an attached drive, it's not doing any of the sharing. That's all handled on the Mac mini. I haven't tried SMB just because I've always had connection issues with it.

5. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Ah, my appologies. I just assumed from watching the videos that drobo was running Linux and was serving files, not an attached drive. Guess I shouldn't have said anything.

6. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

It's running something on the inside to do all of it's raid management, but that's closed off from the end user.
    It really seems to be a file system issue and not just limited to AFP. I've tried doing the file system repairs, permission checks, and I've even run diskwarrior on the drive. Still, it's slow. Not quite sure what the problem is.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What connection are you using? Ethernet? Wireless? USB? Firewire?