File management and other Finder woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CatharticFlux, Apr 18, 2007.

1. CatharticFlux macrumors member

So I took the dip last xmas and got a Mac Pro and a Macbook for my wife. Life was great, I ended up not even installing bootcamp and leaving my PC to collect dust.

Alas, I just don't 'get' Finder. Align to grid seems to work OK half the time, but it will randomly start aligning to a different grid than the one used for the existing icons. Clean up will start piling icons on top of each other and I hate to say that I miss how XP used to treat picture folders (the filmstrip view.) I also wish there was an easier way to tell where I am (parent folders) other than changing views to the hierarchical one.

What am I missing? Is there a guide for using Finder for someone that sadly spent too much time in the Windows world? :)

2. justG macrumors member

justG

Well, you can hit command and click on the title bar icon to get a "breadcrumbs" drop-down, but I agree it would be really nice to be able to view the path at a glance.
    Nothing, really. I switched to the Mac late last year and since then have learned that the Finder is one of the community's biggest complaints about the OS. If Leopard's version isn't significantly better, I'm going to invest in Path Finder.

3. CatharticFlux thread starter macrumors member

Cool utility. I'll download the demo.

4. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I tried PathFinder & thought is was great...I'm just hesitant to fork over money right right now on 3rd party apps--I'd hate to spend hundreds of $$ only to see that for some reason, it isn't compatible w/ Leopard...

5. justG macrumors member

justG

I'm not in the least worried about Leopard compatibility (hundreds of dollars?). Path Finder is a really popular app, and no doubt CocoaTech will stay on top of ensuring it remains compatible. The only reason I'm waiting is just to see how Leopard's Finder is; if it addresses some of my gripes with it, I might just stick with it.

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Me too, that has got to be one of the only things I miss about running XP. I've never been able to get to grips with iPhoto.

7. CallsignBaron macrumors member

As far as keeping track of where you are (ie: parent folder), have you tried changing Finders view to list or columns? List view in particular is very easy to use and lets you see quite readily where you are in the file structure. Also as for keeping your folders aligned and organized you can set Finder to keep files arranged by Kind (type), Name, Size, etc. Control-click in Finder and select "Show View Options". Hope this helps a little.:D

8. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

I would try using the columns view. Thats all I find I need. And you can add the "path" button to the toolbar of the finder to show you where you are.

Or best yet, if you know what you are looking for, download Launchbar. makes finding any app or file unbelievably fast and easy.

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Or instead of LaunchBar, Quicksilver, as it's free and you don't seem to want to spend too much money.

Path Finder is a good utility, but I find it over-complex. I probably need to spend more time using it, but for the moment Finder suits my needs.

10. skwij macrumors 6502

You can also customise the toolbar (right click, customise) and drag the icon "path" to the toolbar. No matter what you're viewing, the "path" button will show the path to the file/folder you've highlighted.

11. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

I must admit that I've never understood the complaints with the Finder. My first real computer was a Mac although I've used Windows before I bought my machine. Finder is a simple solution that doesn't think too much of itself. I've used PathFinder and can see its usefulness in some apps but not for the average user. I don't see any need to make it a full app or "bowser" like.

But that's just me.