File management/online storage for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ranny2, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hello,
    I am soon going to be the owner of an iPad 2, and will be using it as a portable machine to run alongside my 'desktop replacement' laptop.
    My uses are internet browsing, YouTube, word processing etc.
    I do have a slight concern however. I plan on doing some work on it, using the iWork suite. I will still do some more intensive work on my laptop however. What is the best way to have both machines up to date with the latest documents etc. It also needs to be quick and easy. The ability to store and sync photos would also be nice.
    I have considered a few different options:
    Dropbox
    Google Docs
    Emailing files to myself
    MobileMe iDisk (I do not own MobileMe, so would need to purchase it.)
    Or any other suggestions you have,
    Thank you very much.

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

3. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

With GoodReader, can you upload documents (.docx) from a PC, then download them and edit them in Pages on the iPad, and then upload them again to GoodReader? That will be my primary function. Thanks.

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

GR is your best investment for this use.

5. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Goodreader, as suggested, and Dropbox will do you just fine. I don't know about .docx and Pages, however - I haven't tried anything but older .doc files in Pages (which work fine as long as you don't have a lot of formatting.) Goodreader is just plain a great investment - one of the handiest apps ever.

Don't bother with MobileMe - $99 is far too much, IMO, for what you can get out of Dropbox and any number of other services for much less, and better. I have several now, Dropbox is my main one, but I also like SugarSync a lot, too. Wait to see what Apple does with MobileMe before committing.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I second the motion to use Dropbox. Although I don't have an iPad (yet), I find it very useful for accessing my files on my iPod Touch.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have both ReaddleDocs and GoodReader and for File Management, I currently like ReaddleDocs better.

Hopefully the developers of GoodReader change its file management interface for a better one, but I have to admit that its document viewer is the best I have seen so far, and it now supports annotations.

Combine either one of them with Dropbox, and there you have a complete file management/online storage solution. Offer it to your friends, and you can get up to a total of 8GB for free.