File management question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Woodenbuoy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Woodenbuoy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new here, just today. I'm here because I am fairly new to the Mac world, but love my Macbook Pro, even though it seems to do some quirky things.
    For instance, if I open a folder on my desktop, then open a file within that folder, the folder goes back to the desktop. In other words, when I close the individual file, the folder is gone, back to where it came from. It seems like a lot of work to start over each time if I want to click through files and have them all open, or I look at one, it's not the one I want so I have to start all over for each file.
    This also happens if I'm online, through Safari or Google. Yes, the tabs are there if I switch back and forth, but if during my web search I decide to open a folder from my files, my entire Safari ends up gone. I then have to go back to the icon in my tray (?) and start over.
    It's kooky. Any solution? Is there a setting I can change to keep tabs or files open?

Thanks,

Woodenbuoy

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do you have a second User Account? (Guest or Test or whatever) If not, you should. Create one, then log in under that User and see if you have these problems.