File Management Utility/Software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by islutsenko, Mar 20, 2012.

1. islutsenko macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Can you please help me find some kind of software or utility for Mac OS X that would help me sort my audio files. Here is the issue. I have thousands of MP3s in one folder. First of all I would like to add more columns to the folder, such as Genre, Release Year, month, Sub-genre, etc. Pretty much customize the finder columns and add more. Then I would like to sort them, but not just by one rule, but by several. Lets say I want to sort first by Genre, then sub genre, then release year, then month, then name, etc. I can do it in Excel spreadsheet, but it would take me days entering one by one, plus my collection keeps growing, it would make no sense doing it that way. Plus the files will be inaccessible from excel. Do you guys have any idea? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bear macrumors G3

I'm in all likelihood replying to a troll. But iTunes will do most of that for you.

3. islutsenko thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes does have a bunch of column options, but does not let me add custom ones. But I can deal with that. It does not let me sort by more than one column. Or do I not know how to do it?

4. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

ha!!!!!!!

5. Bear macrumors G3

iTunes does have an option to export the Library data as an .xml file. You could use that with a script to format it for Excel.

iTunes->File->Library->Export Library...

6. islutsenko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Thats not a bad idea.

7. andy21 macrumors newbie

file management software

I recommend you to take a look at this file management software. You can set up your own file server for managing and sharing files through web browser. It's like DropBox but self-hosted so that you can keep all your confidential files on your own server. The web based UI looks and feels like Windows 7 Explorer. It offers features that are not possible with a FTP server such as zipping files, downloading multiple files and folders in single download etc. It's also easier to set up and administrate than a FTP server.