file manager inside the iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deli6z, Aug 29, 2010.

1. deli6z macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a question: "Is there an app for iphone which can move the files inside the phone file system without connecting to the pc?"
    And another similar one is about deleting files(pics, music, video files) from the file connectionless with pc.
    Thanks for the answers

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

iFile if you are jailbroken,

Air Sharing Pro if you are not (paid app on the app store).

3. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for replies))

have few more questions after using ifile...
    I tried to manage ipod files - like music and video but found out that i cannot find the correct names of the files - itunes makes it own's way. So is there a plugin o some app to manage ipod files directly from iphone?

And what about adding downloaded from internet music and video to ipod list? Is it possible?

Or maybe there is another audio player app?

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Go into the iFile preferences and turn on "Song Titles".....and "Application Names" while you are at it. Then you will see the song titles.

S-

5. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. but it's tin solving the problem. when I deleted a few files from var/mobile/media/Itunes_Control/Music still found them in ipod list - they are not playing but still in the list.
    In case of adding files in this folder from downloads they are not even appearing
    in the ipod list

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure if I fully understand what you want to do, you want to download Music of te internet, and them place it in the "correct" folder so you can play it later on the iPod.app? correct?

how are you downloading this music files? I remember that dTunes used to do that automatically, but it is not working on iP4/iOS4 currently. I used Safari Download Manager but to be honest haven;t try any music files

7. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. you understood correctly. SDM downloading music files and then I'm trying to mobe files in "correct" folder - but it does not help to see the files in playlist

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Song information is stored in a database. Simply adding songs to your media folder will not make them appear in the iPod App or sync with your computer, any more than simply placing them in the music folder on your computer will make them appear in iTunes.

The best way to manage your music collection is using iTunes. There are a couple of third-party applications out there that can add music to your library on your computer, but they are not all reliable and it is very easy to corrupt the database. As far as I know, there is no iPhone App that can do so. Carsten Heinelt (the developer of iFile) has said that it is a possible future functionality for iFile, but I don't think it's anywhere near the top of his list.

If you are interested, the reason it is so difficult to implement this kind of functionality in a third-party app is that the specification for the database file is not public and must be reverse-engineered. It is an encrypted file, so software that would modify it must be able to decrypt and re-encrypt the file. Not only that, but the file is signed using a hashing algorithm, so the software also must be able to re-sign after making any changes (and the developer must therefore determine the signing key). Finally, the specification frequently changes with new iTunes releases, making it necessary for developers to reverse-engineer all over again. Apple really doesn't want anything but iTunes modifying the iTunes database.

9. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition of the thread - I tried to upload a doc file on some website but couldnt - the button 'choose file' is inert. Any ideas?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPhone does not allow sandboxed applications like MobileSafari to access the filesystem. Native and App Store apps have limited access only to the camera roll.

11. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

What about other browsers like opera or mozzila- do they allow that?

12. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure it sould be sollution