File migration help needed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by minnieoi, Jul 24, 2013.

1. minnieoi macrumors newbie

Due to failing eyesight,just bought a 27" Imac,mainly to be used for photo editing.Currently been using a macbook.Through utilities, have followed the step by step instructions on both machines(connected by ethernet cable) but cannot get the machines to 'discover' each other, although have got them to recognise each other via bluetooth.
    Must have missed something or not doing something basic but as I want to mainly transfer my Iphoto & Itunes accross, how do I do it. Am lost. Any help appreciated.

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Are you using migration assistant? Or just looking to transfer a few files over. Most likely the issue is you need to make sure in the security settings that both computers have the share files box ticked off.

3. minnieoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, using migration assistant. Thought I had ticked that off but will check

4. minnieoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Was not getting anywhere,so switched both machines off for an hour whilst I did something more productive, like enjoying a glass of decent port!
    Switched on again and followed on both machines. the step by step instructions in migration assist.
    Got to a message on both machines that said looking for another computor and a little wheel kept on and on whirring but no result so gave up again.
    Unless somebody can come up with a simple(for me) answer, will try downloading to an external HD and then try uploading that. But will wait 'till morning and have another glass.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Is that a brand new iMac? If so it's running Mountain Lion (OS 10.8). What is the OS version of the Macbook (Look under Apple Menu > About This Mac). As long as it's at least OS 10.6.8 or later it should work.

Are you using the Migration Assistant on the iMac? It won't work if you're starting Migration Assistant up on the Macbook.

Also, do you have the Macbook backed up to a Time Machine Drive? I've found connecting a new mac to the time machine drive works very well with Migration Assisant.

Apples instructions on using Migration Assistant.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

VERY important that you tell us which version of the OS is on the MacBook.

Migration Assistant only "mates up" so far back.

I _think_ it will work with 10.5, but will NOT work with 10.4 ...

There are other ways to migrate your data if you can't get MA to work.
    We can work you through those other methods, if necessary.

7. minnieoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Macbook running 10.6.8. Machines just not 'seeing' each other.
    Started with migration assist on target machine(new imac)followed instructions , then switched on source machine (macbook)
    and again followed instructions,but can only get as far as both machines looking for each other,which doesn't happen.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to confirm, you are connected the ethernet cable directly between the two machines?

If so, it sounds like you are things correctly. Can you turn off wifi on the Macbook and use that same ethernet cable to connect to the Internet just to make sure the port and cable are good? Sounds like maybe a bad cable.

9. macthefork macrumors 6502

Be sure both are set to use Ethernet in System Preferences > Network, and both show "connected" when the macs are connected together. and turned on. One could be set to WiFi with the other set to Ethernet.

OS 10.6.8 won't be a problem to migrate from.

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It is MUCH MUCH easier to use a back up from a TM to restore from. I would also STRONGLY recommend you carefuly read Pondini's guide on how to use Migration Assitant is what I'd recommend. You can find it by just Googling Pondini Migration Assisant.

11. minnieoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. problem solved. Whilst both machines were showing as ethernet connected,it was obvious they were not.Changed the new ethernet cable for an old one and hey presto, all worked and migration completed. I will be taking the new cable back to the store !

12. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes it is the simplest things that can cause hours of frustration. :)