File Names Conflict in iPhoto from 2 Cameras

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manyijo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. manyijo macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to Mac. I need advise from you pro.

I have 2 Canon cameras, actually 1 for my husband and 1 for me. Recently, when we tried to import the pictures after a trip from both cameras, we found that for some reasons, both cameras generated the same series of file names for the pictures. We didn't know after we imported the pictures into iPhoto. When we tried to view the pictures in iPhoto.. we saw every other thumbnail is shown, and every other thumbnail is nothing. When we scrolled the page up and down, we could see all the pictures. but when we tried to export the pictures, only the ones that were shown were exported. My questions are:

1. Is there any way we can retrieve the "hidden" pictures back?

2. Is there any way we can avoid this to happen again besides getting another brand for camera?

3. Is it the problem of iPhoto or Mac?? Because if it's only iPhoto, I can really avoid using it.

Thanks much in advance!!!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Probably in your camera setup, you can change the scheme of the file naming. So, yours could start with DDD, and his could start with MMM or something. That would cure it for the future.

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

First off I would avoid hooking the cameras up directly to the Mac with a USB cable. You wouldn't be the first to forget and in a hurry grab the camera or computer and sling the other across the room. Get yourself a memory Card reader, they start about $10, and this will make importing photos a lot easier and safer. :) Download an app like "Name Mangler" so you can rename the photos on the memory card before you even import to your Mac.
    http://www.manytricks.com/namemangler/
    I keep Name Mangler on the dock all the time so when I pop the card reader in I can drag the new photos from Finder and drop on it and do the Batch Renaming before they are on my Mac. I can then stick the card reader into my other coputers and have them all with the same photo names.
    Next in iPhoto preferences under the General tab change "Connecting camera opens:" to " No application". This will keep your photos from being imported before you get a chance to rename them.

If you haven't deleted the photos from the camera then you can rename as above and import again.