File Names in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jerirat, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jerirat macrumors newbie

I'm slowly moving over to OSX and I have one question. In Finder file long file names are displayed as:

longfil...me.ext with ellipses replacing the middle of the name.

Is there a way to get Finder to display file names as:

longfilenam.... as in Windows File Explorer?

I can expand the column in list view to show the entire name but I'd rather be able to show the filename with the ellipses at the end instead of the middle.

TIA

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It will always show the ellipses in the middle of the long file names. There is no way to change it that I know of.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As far as I'm aware there is no way to change this. It annoyed me at first too but I slowly came to realize it's so that you can see the beginning of the file name (to know what it is) as well as the extension (to know what kind of file) without any extra work since, more often than not, the middle part is the least important.

With that said I've never really ran into the issue. Maybe I have short file names but my basic setup for finder is the cover flow view (any work but I like cover flow) with the name column quite wide. Even with a small finder window this gives me enough space to see all file names (again unless they are REALLY long), the date modified, size and the file type. All I'm missing out on is date added which is rarely important. Plus if I need more space I can certainly make the window larger than it is.

Attached Files:

4. jerirat thread starter macrumors newbie

If you're on a 13" screen then window size is limited and I frequently see the ellipses. I tend to work with multiple files and file names are longish with little to differentiate if the middle is gone. I can work around it by resizing the the filename column but I'll keep looking for a hack.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I offer you good luck on that matter. I do have a 13" macbook in addition to my iMac and still have no real issues however, said I said, your filenames could be a lot longer than mine so who knows.