file organization

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caligurl, Oct 27, 2012.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

Jun 8, 2009
    i just got my first iMac and i want to get it set up neatly.

on my PCs i always put certain folders in the root (i.e. photos, iTunes) rather than buried within other folders. i did this cuz it ended up being neater and less keystrokes when saving/finding stuff.

is there any reason not to do this on my new iMac? am i better off using their folders they've established?

thanx (and be gentle... i'm a mac newbie!)
  2. dXTC macrumors 68020

Oct 30, 2006
    Up, up in my studio, studio
    I was in your situation not too many years ago; I got my first Mac in 2007. However, instead of worrying so much about where the file was and/or what it was called, as I had done in Windows XP, I saw the future of file organization: metatags. I let iTunes and iPhoto worry about file storage maintenance, and concern myself more with the file's metadata (for example, the "Get Info" choice in iTunes). The only storage maintenance I perform is for other files and media, and for searching for those later there's Spotlight.
  3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Keep the root of your drive cleaner by not adding anything to IT.

If you want quick access to a specific folder, add it to the sidebar or dock.

Some apps may get wonky if file, folders or apps are moved to non-default places.
  4. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    Get an idea about moving iTunes Music folder by the the article/video How to move an iTunes library to an external drive.
  5. samh macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2009
    Yes, you are better off keeping user files in their user folder.
  6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with the above. I know I've read the reason behind conforming to Apple's setup, but I can't remember....
  7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2009
    Coming from the DOS world (actually pre-DOS: punchcards) I was pretty anal about my files and folder structure. After switching it was hard to let that mindset go. Since I have, I don't care where my files are kept, i.e., I let iPhoto manage and I don't care about where the individual images are. For other files I let the apps deal with them and if I need to find a find one later I use Spotlight .. after all, that's why we have it.