Resolved File path in Finder info window

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by KALLT, Oct 25, 2014.

1. KALLT, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

KALLT macrumors 601

Prior to Yosemite, Finder showed the complete path of a file in the info window (e.g. /Applications/Utilities). Yosemite replaced that with a more descriptive path (see image) which I cannot (meaningfully) copy anymore. Is there another quick method to view or copy a file’s path?

Attached Files:

2. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I'd like to know the same. This is one change in OS X Yosemite that really bugs me.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Drag the file's icon into a Terminal window.

I think they just did that GetInfo change to irritate people.

4. SlCKB0Y, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  5. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

In the Yosemite Finder window... (is this what you mean?)

Attached Files:

6. KALLT thread starter macrumors 601

Nope, I mean the Info window as pictured in my initial post. Before Yosemite, that highlighted section in the Info window would show up like this: ‘Where: /Applications/Utilities’. This could be copied very easily.

I appreciate all the comments. The Terminal is definitely a quick solution, but I don’t want to run it all the time.

However, I just discovered a solution that works for me. With the Automator app, I created a new service. I configured it as shown in the attached picture and called it ‘Copy File Path’. After saving it, I went to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and enabled that new service. I added my own shortcut for it. This basically just copies the file path directly to the clipboard (not the file itself).

Attached Files:

7. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Nice solution! Care to make a screen shot of how you made that Automator action? How does one add it to the contextual menu?

8. KALLT thread starter macrumors 601

I’ve attached my workflow. It should install itself like a Safari extension, i.e. just double-click on it after you’ve unzipped it. Once that is done, you can find it here: /Users/[user]/Library/Services.

To use it as a right-click service: go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, select the ‘Services’ menu and look for the workflow ‘Copy File Path’. You can enable it there and add a keyboard shortcut as well, if you want.

Let me know whether this works! If your system language is different, I think you can rename the workflow file before you install it to something else as well.

Attached Files:

9. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Haha yeah, sorry about that. The picts didn't load properly until now. Thanks a lot for the explanation, shots and file, really helpful! I'll try it once I get home.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

BRILLIANT! Click-to-install and does just what it says......many thanks :cool:

11. robertoandrade macrumors newbie

12. KALLT thread starter macrumors 601

Sorry for my late response, I overlooked it. Yes, you're right! I hadn't noticed the change. Thanks for pointing it out. :)