File Path in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dws90, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dws90 macrumors regular

Is there any quick way to get a file or folder's path in a copy/pastable form from the Finder (you know, like the location bar in most other file browsers)?

I know you can right-click on the little icon at the top of the window and it'll display the parent directories in a clickable form, but that's not very useful when I need to have the actual path (when coding, for example). Dragging the little icon won't work, either, as TextMate does weird things with that.

Basically, is there some Cmd+??? combination that'll copy the path to the clipboard?

Thanks.

2. chscag macrumors 65816

I use "muCommander" which works like "Norton Commander" from the days of DOS. It displays a split screen of your entire Mac HD. Very easy to copy path by highlighting, pressing "command c". Go to their web site and have a look. BTW, it's free. :p

http://www.mucommander.com/

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

4. dws90 thread starter macrumors regular

PathSnagger looks like it's exactly what I need. It seems to be PPC only, though.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Oops. You're right. I still have a PB. There is a similar program for Intels. I use it on my MacPro, but I'm on the road for almost two weeks and I can't remember the name. If no one else replies, bug me in July!

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

There is a way, described at http://pym.uce.pl/x-tip.html#46, but in case you don't read Polish ;), here's the English translation:

First download Spark (keyboard shortcut manager) from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14352/spark, then use it to create a new keyboard shortcut to the following AppleScript (entered directly in Spark, not in Script Editor):
    Code:
    tell application "Finder"
          set sciezka to folder of the front window as text
          set the clipboard to POSIX path of sciezka
    end tell
    You may assign it to Control-C, for example, so that pressing Ctrl-C in Finder would copy the current window path to the Clipboard.

7. dws90 thread starter macrumors regular

I added that script to Launchbar, and it works perfectly.

Thanks!

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread here, but Pathsnagger works OK for me. However, it leaves off part of the path, and I am unsure as to how to add that in.

Basically, I need a solution that copies the Windows path and tacks on "//ntfiles/" to the beginning. Anyone know of a way to do this? Preferably using a contextual menu shortcut.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Open AppleScript Utility and make sure "Show Script Menu in menu bar" is selected.

Open Script Editor and copy/paste this script:

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
    	set fileName to (selection as text)
    	set the clipboard to "//ntfiles/" & POSIX path of fileName
    end tell

Save script in Scripts folder (easiest way to find it is to select "Open Scripts Folder" from the new Script Menu in Finder.

Doesn't work as a contextual menu but it's still very handy. Works on single files.

mt

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I was just revisiting this problem and stumbled upon:

http://www.hsoi.com/hsoishop/software/

You'll see a plug-in called "FilePathToClipCMPlugin: a contextual menu plugin"

Seems to do the trick.