File Permission problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hms84, Sep 11, 2009.

1. hms84 macrumors regular

Hi Mac Rumors,
    I never though the day will come and actually post a problem I'm having on my Mac. I have a Mac Pro with Four HDD (250GB Mac HD, 70GB Win HD, 1TB Med HD1, 2TB Med HD2). I decided to make a clean install of Snow Leopard on my 250 GB Mac HD. I did it and everything went fine until I was trying to drop or use files on my other HDDs but I couldn't. Then I realized that I have to add my user name to the permission list (Even though it's the same user name and password from Leopard). I added it to the HDDs info window. But still I couldn't use them then I realized that I have to add permission to each file in there (almost 3TB worth of data).

What do I do to solve this problem. I looked into Automator but nothing there. And I'm not really good in writing scripts......

Any help ....... :D

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

you can do it using the Terminal, other MR memebr with the full knowledge surely will give you the details.

3. Cenobite macrumors newbie

When you click an the little gear wheel in the info window you can select "Apply to enclosed objects". This will apply your settings to all sub folders and files.
    But don't do that on your system drive. This will screw up your system.

4. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

YEAAAAH!!
    It works, thanks everyone for your help
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D