File permissions screwed up after using Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BVsmurfette, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. BVsmurfette macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #1
    Hi All, just got a new iMac and am having some problems... hoping someone here can help... especially since Apple support is closed on this Labor Day holiday!


    So, i just got a new iMac. I used to have a Mac Mini.
    I used migration assistant to successfully move over all my files and docs and applications. Took 7 hours but I was happy to see that everything transferred over safely!

    Now, prior to the migration, I had the same username and password on both machines (eg. BVsmurfette). However, when I ran the migration assistant program, it prompted me to change one of them b/c it said I couldn't use the same usernames. So, I made the mac mini username = bvsmurfettemini.
    Once the migration was complete, I noticed that instead of putting all my files into the user name on my iMac (ie. BVsmurfette), it created a separate user folder called bvsmurfette mini.
    Thinking it would be silly to have to go into a separate user folder each time I wanted to access my files, I thought, ok, i'll just move all those files into the bvsmurfette folder. so, i dragged everything over from bvsmurfettemini, into bvsmurfette.

    However - now i've noticed that all the file permissions are screwed up!
    bvsmurfette doesn't have read/write access to any of the folders or files. bvsmufettemini does.
    so - i clicked on each parent folder (eg. documents, music, pictures, movies, eetc), and clicked on "get info" and changed the permissions/sharing so that bvsmurfette was the owner, and clicked the "apply to all enclosed items" option. I thought this would automatically change the permissions/sharing of every single file and sub-folder within each parent folder.
    To my surprise - it didn't work. The sub-folders and files within each parent still have their old permission settings. Argh! Can anyone please help? I refuse to believe that the only way around this is to manually click on every single file (which i have thousands and thousands of) and reset the permission settings...

    Thanks so much in advance for any help and advice.
     
  2. londoner1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    #2
    repair permissions

    Before the long route, do a repair permisions via disck utility..
    S
     
  3. BVsmurfette thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #3
    Yup, someone walked me through that and i tried it.... unfortunately it didn't make a difference :(
     
  4. msevild macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Location:
    Schaumburg
    #4
    I work at an authorized service provider and I have encountered that issue before. The simple answer is that it is not going to be worth the time to change permissions on those files. You are better off creating the old user account and using that(transfer information back to that account. A little bit of education for everyone who reads this. Disk utility does NOT repair issues with permissions inside of your user folder. It is usually used to resolve permission's issues for things installed via the Installer application. But if you want to take the long route, you will want to add your user account in the get info window of every folder and subfolder you migrated. Every time I have tried to do a mass user permissions change I have been unsuccessful.
     

Share This Page